Are Dixie Choppers quality ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by REALSLOW, Sep 17, 2006.

1. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

My dealer is considering them I believe and you can get big motors in them but from people who own them and own other ZTR's as well I want a true opinion. I ask because I here all these great things about them but I looked at a 2700 the other day and from what I saw it was made extremely flimsy compared to my Hustler but the guy said it was a good mower. The Generac was very loud!

It looked like it would not take crashing into anything at 15 MPH out there and survive like it was nothing like my Hustler seems to so far.

2. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

My dixie chopper works great.. they are in my are pretty good because they put pretty big engines on them.. i have a 60" flatlander with a 25hp kohler... it works really well, but it is not a luxury machine, it is made to make money, and to make it fast. mine goes like 13mph or something.. but it has no suspenion, manual deck engagement, and a wierd deck height adjuster... over all it books, runs good, and I am surprised how even it cuts even when going over rough lawns at full speed. They seem to really take a beating....

Overall I like them, and I am going to buy another mower either this fall or before mowing starts next spring, I would like to look into feris though..

3. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont own 1 and wont buy 1. I dont like the motorcycle chains that hold the deck. I dont like the way you adjust the deck. The center of gravity is higher than most of the other brands. If Im going to spend 8 or 9 grand on a mower. There better be some luxury that comes with it.. Like most of the other brands. No one is going to cut grass at 13mph either. Unless there just mowing dust.
    Thats just my opnion.

4. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

Have you owned any other quality ZTR's?

5. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

Chad my Super z will cut 2 week old bahai with 2 foot stingers and knock it down good in one pass at 12 to 15 MPH.

6. Josh.S

The chains that hold up the deck do a great job, IMO they work better than alot of other designs.

Yes, the deck adjustment is a stupid design, but it is still functional and isn't that bad when you get used to it.

I am more worried about making money efficiently than having luxury.

I can cut 3" off at 13mph.. and I do all the time on alot of the smoother property's.

7. nbizati

nbizati LawnSite Member

I have a 60" 27 hp Dixie with a kohler engine. I love it. I have tried both scag and lesco ztr's. I hated the lesco. The scag was good; built well. But the dixie is the best by far. And I also cut grass at top speed and never had a problem with quality of cut or clumping. (Unless the grass is a foot tall):)

8. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

How could you talk about the Lesco Z2 in such a manner? Envy get in here and straighten this guy out.

9. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Dixie Choppers is a very quality machine. I own 2 of them and plan to buy a third one and maybe a forth if I get this contract I just submitted for this spring. I have gone threw some pretty bad stuff with my choppers and have never given up on me yet. Was the 2700 the silver eagle? If so that is why it looks like it wouldn't hold up in tuff conditions. I own a flat-lander and the supreme and they are tuff mowers. I love these mowers cause there are no power pto which goes bad all the time on the silver eagle. If you want something that is going to last for a while get at least a flat-lander. I myself like the supreme thats why I bought it and I have looked bad yet even though it cost me 11,500 which the flat-lander would of ran me about 8,000.

10. Josh.S

Do you buy them from terry stump? (cut right)