Are echo trimmers really as good as stihl redmax?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Feb 12, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I was at my dealer the other day and saw the echo srm261t and asked what the guy thought of it. He said echos and the 261t are good for homeowners and light commercial use. He said redmax and shiny are much better for commercial use. My question is are they really commercial grade for full use? I mean the 261t has the same price tag as the redmax 2600s I don't like redmax trimmers. Not the best in my opinion. So is there any truth to this or are echos really good? I have stihl now and love em but do want to try echo or shiny later.
  2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think so but others will disagree. Currently - all red max, some kawa stuff and maranyma (spell)
  3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

The Echo 265T and 280T are absolutely full commercial trimmers. The most powerful in their class, thanks to the ProTorque gearbox (2:1 gear ratio). The 261T is no longer made by Echo and doesn't have their new Power Boost Vortex engine. I believe it has the Power Boost Tornado, which is a ton less powerful than the 265T.

Try a 280T. It's $40 more than the 265T and much more powerful. :)

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

as far as i'm concerened all trimmers are throw aways if you get one year out of them great. But no way do you get any more.
  5. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Redmax is definitely a good brand. Their trimmers are lighter than Echos and much much lighter than Shindaiwa of the same engine size. Shindaiwa is too expensive!!! For the weight and price, you better of getting a Honda which is cheaper.

The SRM261 is good, it has a Tornado engine which have two compression rings vs the new 265 or 280 Vortex engines have only one ring. There is a big debate in another site about the longivity of those one ring enignes, the two rings are winning!!! I would let other prove it first.

From my understanding, Echo use catalytic converter where Redmax, Maruyame and Tanaka manage not having to use one. This translate to lighter and better engines.

There are a lot of people swear by SRM261, I think it is safe to buy. I would stay away from hybrid 4 cycle engines like Shindaiwa C4 or Stihl 4Mix because they require more maintenance. Get pure 2 cycles.

You ever look at Redmax CHTZ3001S? light, powerful. 29.5cc, 1.7 hp. I can get it in my dealer for $329

TOOLSHACK LawnSite Member

Well, let me start by saying I'm a dealer for both Echo and Redmax....
    Having said that, I prefer the Echo machines overall.
    The Redmax trimmers have some great features... better trigger design, typically a little lighter in weight.

The Echo trimmers are definitely commercial duty machines...particularly the SRM-265T and SRM-280T models. They have more power at the cutting head than any other machines in their class.

As for getting only one year out of a trimmer.... you should be able to get several years of reliable service out of a good trimmer... provided you don't abuse the hell out of it and you run 89 octane gasoline with a quality the right mix ratio.
  7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I've been looking this over closely... and in fact just started a thread in the other forum re: my equipment buy list for this spring. First, I'm a solo. I won't be abusing my equipment. I am looking at the Echo 265 vs. the Stihl fs90, and it's combi-tool counterpart.

My dealer was selling me the idea that the Stihl 4 stoke has a linear power curve vs. RPM, while the 2 stroke Echo has to be at near full RPM (logrithmic power curve)for any real power. BS or not? As of now, I lean towards the Echo 265. Same price as the Stihl FS90 at 299.
  8. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Get the 265T. It's what, $20 more than the regular 265? No comparison! Unless you are getting the multi tool...

With the 265T, it has a 2:1 gear reduction, so for every two shaft rotations, the head rotates once. What this does is allow the engine to rev up to higher RPMs and sharply reduce bogging at the same time. Think of it like dropping a really low set of gears in your truck.

With the sharply increased power of the 265T and 285T, expect much better fuel economy than a less powerful larger displacement model.
  9. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

TOOLSHACK-- Sense you are a dealer what is your opinion of the Kawasaki KBL27B trimmer??? and the other Kawasaki tools??
  10. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

If Echo is not a commercial product, than I don't know what one is. I do not run many Echos but that is not because I feel they are inferier to other brands, I just like some other brands better.