Are engines getting too big?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Illini_Fan, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Illini_Fan

Illini_Fan LawnSite Member

Does anyone think that the engine sizes being used on the commercial mowers are getting too big. Are they necessary? What one or two areas, would you like the manufacturers pay more attention to on their machines.

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I like the bigger engines. It helps mowers move faster & still get a good quality of cut. I would like the manufacturers to work on their stripes better though. Maybe even come w/ a more comfortable seat w/o it being an option/ add-on.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

You can over build a piece of equipment but with the mower engines these days I dont think so. I dont think a 23 or 27hp motor is too big for something that weighs in access of 1k and you and trying to move 3 blades with the resistance of grass and possibly bagging with it. Case in point... our 48" Toro only has a 14hp Kawi and it bogs down in taller grass wet or dry, thats very frustrating, especially when bagging, we have to stop the mower every few feet it seems to unclog the discharge area. There was a picture on here last year of a 33" Billy Goat with a 23hp Briggs....now that might be a little overkill,lol.

4. walshdevo10

walshdevo10 LawnSite Member

I ran a 44" Toro with a 15hp and it bogged quickly but my new Hustler has a 27 and what a difference! I also have an upgraded seat that came standard but like mentioned before they could work on the striping without it being an option.
    Jim

5. Illini_Fan

Illini_Fan LawnSite Member

What size engine is big enough to handle up to a 60" deck? And will the same engine handle a 72? Torque is what is needed to keep the engine from bogging down. Sometimes, I think we get too wrapped up in hp. You can have all the hp in the world, but without torque, you have nothing.

6. nobagger

from Pa

Thats why I thingk diesels are going to become more popular. Everyone knows that a deisel engine has the torque to do what gas engines wont or have a harder time doing. But the price is a factor with one, altough I found a Ferris something or other with a CAT diesel, 60 or 72" deck it was brand new (06) going for 12k. Now compared to the same mower in a gas engine which would go for what?, 10-11k. That would be worth it for me.

7. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

In a mower this is not true, in a truck yes. A 27hp gas mower will do about the same as a 27hp diesel. I have owned lots of ztrs and do not find a diesel more powerful, but more fuel economical.

8. nobagger

from Pa

I did not know that!:waving: Yes I was going off the truck engine senario, just thought it would be the same idea.

9. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

From what I know, a diesel and a gas engine with the exact horse power and torque ratings are going to do the exact same amount of work as each other.

The advantage with the diesel is its going to do the exact work with out burning as much fuel. Over time the diesel engine will last longer then the gas engine.

I also think the highest powered engine you can get is the way to go. Especially when your running a bagging system off the blade spindle. In high, lush, damp grass conditions the more power the better. I have a 17 hp 54 inch BobCat. Its way under powered and I lose time in challenging conditions.

I never leave the yard until the yard meats what I call a good job. A higher powered engine dose it faster so I can get on to the next yard and make more money.

10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

But do the gas engines have the same torque ratings as the diesels? You rarely see torque numbers so I'd be curious.