are exmark and toro the same?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Feb 20, 2004.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

just curious. went to my dealer the other day and they had exmark and toro riders and they both looked identical. am i missing something on this one? does one company own the other? i appreciate all responses.

lawnwizards.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Toro is eXmarks's parent company...but they differ greatly.

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I don't know the history as well as some others, but I posed the same question not that long ago.

My understanding is that Toro bought Exmark a while back (not sure HOW far back). Essentially, the cart is the same, but the Exmark deck is considered to be far superior. Apparently, the new Toro Turbo Force deck holds a lot of promise for this year.

I've had folks on this site tell me they like their Toro SFS decks, and others tell me to run away from them.

If anyone wants to add to that, or correct any misstatement, knock yourself out!:D

4. lawnwizards

If toro owns exmark, why do they make the exmark better? i'm going to a toro dealer tomorrow, what should i look for in the 36" such as price and specs?

5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

he he he

sorry. You're just asking all the same questions I did about Toro/Exmark:p

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Because toro bought exmark, they didnt create the company.

7. lawnwizards

the reason i'm asking these questions are that i have a dealer that has exmark and toro but i've heard hes hard to deal with. then i have a dealer that does toro, supposedly a very good dealer to work with. i know exmarks are great machines. does the toro match up at all?

8. RjCjR

RjCjR LawnSite Member

Lawnwizzards:

I just got a quote on a 36" Exmark Metro, 13hp Kaw, with ECS for $2599. (M3613KAC).

This is going to be my first Exmark mower. I've never heard anything but praises about them.

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Depends on which models you're buying. I use Exmark riders and toro wb's. Both will do the job just fine. Some prefer the Exmark decks, but my Toro 44" deck will handle wet or tall grass better than the 48" Exmark deck, so throw out that theory as a general rule.

10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Cant say ive ever had a problem with my toro sfs deck. sometimes you might have to double cut, bu tyou have to do that sometimes with all makes. And i have never ever had one single problem with clumping due to this deck as so many others claim.