1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are front-mounts better?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Z400ACDC, May 18, 2006.

1. Z400ACDC

Z400ACDC LawnSite Member

What are the positives and negitives!
  2. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

What are you mowing? Hills, Flat, big or small? They both have there diferent advantages and disadvantages. But personaly I would say that the mid-mount Z is the best all around.
  3. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. One advantage of the front mount is you'll be able to mow under things that the mid-mounts can't. personally I'd take the mid-mount over the front mount, but then again it all depends on your jobs.
  4. Jay's Lawncare

Jay's Lawncare LawnSite Member

as an owner of both i can honestly say that the major drawback of a front mount mower is that it simply takes up a lot of trailer space. For the most part though I would say that the front mount is more versatile. I can get anywhere with my front mount that i can with my mid mount, the tail wheels take a little getting used to though. like the other gentleman said it is easy to cut underneath trees and such, cant really do that with a midmount. Truly though, it is a matter of preference......jay
  5. Z400ACDC

Z400ACDC LawnSite Member

I have a mid-mount grasshopper that I have no complaints with. I was just wondering about the front-mount because our local dealer really pushes them.
  6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have been conducting a series of tests over the last several months and have concluded that front mounts, for my operation, are better than mid-mounts.
    I am comparing a Exmark Navigator 48"with both the collection system and mulch plate to Gravely mid-mounts of 60".
    I have been able to greatly diminish the use of my 36"wb's as the Navigator can access most of the same areas.
    Regarding the comment about trailer space, the Exmark is actually shorter than the mid-mount as the deck pivots and locks in an up-right position.
    I am in the process of re-equipping, just about to order a second Navigator, however, I have to make room in my maintenance building first.
    Once the older stuff goes, in comes the new.
  7. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

well i only have a front mount i say front!
  8. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

If there pushing it, it's because they aren't selling on there own,, when you see car sales ads on tv, they never have a sale on the Corvettes or mustangs,, just the chit boxes they cant sell! my 02.
    I am looking at this unit,, and drooling,, I want one,, just need to save up some more Mula.

go see and tell me what you think!
  9. Z400ACDC

Z400ACDC LawnSite Member

I can't find anywhere that a front-mount would help me. My old Dixon(that I bought for a acre lot) and the Grasshopper that I mow my 5 acre yard mow and trim great. I don't have a place that I need to stick that front-mount deck under.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, there are times when I think certain things would be a lot simplier with a front mount mower. Mostly due to their ability to follow contours, their versitility for other things besides mowing and ease of deck service.

The only downside I can find when using Grasshoppers as an example, since they offer both front and mid-mounts with equal decks... is the overall length. Yeah, most have fold up decks, and to me trailering is not an issue. The overall length when working in the field is what I'm talking about.