Are gas prices making you think twice about your truck ?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by amanda8950, Dec 2, 2007.

1. amanda8950

amanda8950 LawnSite Member

Is the threat of gas prices continuing to rise making some of you rethink your truck situations ? I have an '07 F-250 diesel and am really thinking about going to either a 3/4 ton gas or maybe even down to a 1/2 ton. I bought my truck right and am not going to be upside down on it based on the appraisals I've gotten so far but just don't know if I want to throw away the equity to get into a gas truck.
  2. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldnt, i have a gas engine and cant wait to get rid of it.
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

It is amazing your complaining about paying 3.15 a gallon for regular gas when out here on the West Coast of Canada we pay 4.10 a gallon the cheapest is 3.56 a gallon. That is for regular grade for premium the cheapest is 4.29 a gallon. Diesel fuel is 4.25 a gallon.
  4. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Why my 1 ton diesel gets around 15mpg loaded and the same gas truck would be around 8-9 loaded. It starts to add up quick if you drive alot. If you load up your truck alot and pull a trailer bigger then 16ft I don't see why you would want to get rid of your diesel, it's not going to cost you less to maintain a gas truck.
  5. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a choice back in 2001 when I bought my 1ton. 8.1L gas or the Duramax. The choice came down to when I would payback the difference in the cost of the Diesel engine vs the gasoline used. Since then, the cost of Diesel has gone up more than gas. So now it comes down to cost per mile. Currently about $.30 for gas vs $.29 for Diesel per mile. Difference of $.02 per mile. Diesel truck would have cost an extra $8000. So it would have taken 400000 miles to get back the cost. Thanks, I'll stick with gasoline. And it wasn't as if the dealer didn't try. $27K on a $35K gas truck vs $35K on a $43K Diesel.
  6. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me guess, a 6.0L?
  7. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i would trade my truck in for a deisel anyday of the week...but u got what u can afford...makes me want to buy a small s10 or ranger for the days i dont need my half ton
  8. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I think you forgot a diesel will average better mpg then a gasser. It's closer to 70-75k to get the extra cost back for a diesel not 400k. Figure a diesel will get 450-550 miles out a 38 gallon gas tank where a gasser will be 300 to 375 out of the same tank. Diesel is not that much more but you get more miles out of it. I will never go back to a gasser, getting 8mpg pulling a trailer sucks.
  9. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I'm waiting for a 1/2 ton diesel that gets in the 30 mpg range. I wouldn't trade my 3/4 and 1-ton diesels for gas trucks, especially since the're paid for.
  10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Fuel is very high and it hurts, but its a fact of (business) life. Downsizing to smaller trucks makes no sense to me at all. Smaller trucks, less capacity = more trips to dump,haul,etc. Gas vs diesel is a whole other debate, after years of gas, now on diesel, you can keep the gassers!