Are GPSs better than MAPSCOS?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Nov 23, 2007.

1. I'm debating whether or not to set my service vehicles up with GPS. We use MAPSCOS now. Has anybody made the switch and was it worth it?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I saw a news report about GPS systems used in England pointing drivers into impossible places.

3. I'm not planning to expand to England so I should be okay there.;)

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

just a caution about not expecting perfection from one of these systems. I still like paper maps/atlases

5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Do you want it for tracking for you (big daddy watching over you) or just for routing for the drivers?

6. We use a Garmin Streetpilot......

7. i can do that? i was just thinking in terms of safer driving since trying to read a mapsco and drive can be a little hairy sometimes. Also I've been told GPS can be faster lookup. I'd like it to have some type of traffic warning system as well. Is that possible?

8. Is it the c330? Gets a best buy rating from Consumer Reports. I'll check it out.

9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

For me, a bit cheaper (free in fact not including my phone and GPS hardware) I use Google maps on my Palm Treo with windows 6.x mobile software and a GPS receiver. Phone obviously pulls double duty as my phone and organizer etc... Google maps is free from google and it is awesome. You can go worldwide with it and it downloads the maps using your service providers broadband (Verizon EVDO in my case). So, no maps to download, update etc... Furthermore, it provides real time traffic in all major cities. To put the icing on the cake, you can switch between map and aerial images, maybe you want to scope your customers property from the air?

Phone was about 250 with a new contract and GPS receiver was 80 bucks. My broadband on the phone isn't cheap, 40 bucks a month and another 40 for my cellular service, but Verizon rocks, impeccable service, coverage and speed. I also use my wireless broadband through my laptop to send emails and invoices from the parking lot of a job-site in the truck, anywhere in the valley.

Sounds like that is what you want, actual routing for you and employees. If you want to play secret agent man boss guy, look into GPS fleet tracking. Gives locations, speeds, park, idle time, direction etc... Works best for gigs that dispatch their units while they are in the field like police units, tow trucks, taxis etc... Doable, probably overkill in your situation lest you have a problem with accidents, speeding, wasted clock time.

Not my pics, but you get the picture of the PDA/google maps gig and GPS receiver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Traffic status in Boston[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let Palm and Google know Ill take my advertisement fee by check.

10. I already have Verizon (personal phone::don't have a house phone) and I've got a contract renewal coming up. I'll check into that. I'm assuming that the Palm Treo can be used on Verizon wireless service. only ask that because I see Cingular on the phones you have. We also have Nextel/sprint for direct connect reasons. The Nextel phones are more durable and water resistant (my phone stays in my front pocket) plus the sound is better but reception is not as good as Verizon. Getting GPS or maps from the phone makes sense if the GPS is not built into the vehicle. I'm worried it will become another gadget I don't fully learn to use.