1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are Grasshoppers a better machine?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by irishsoul, Mar 10, 2007.

1. irishsoul

irishsoul LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Hi all,
    After alot of reading and looking around I have a question: I'm getting the impression that Grasshoppers are a step above the rest overall. Am I correct or do they just have good PR? As always, thanks!
  2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I've ran grasshoppers before when I worked for the school district in High School. When they are properly maintained, like they hardly ever let us have time for, they were unbeatable. they are hardcore working machines in my book. When it came time for me to buy a ZTR, it came down to Hustler and Grasshopper. I went with Hustler, and don't regret doing so, but I still think Grasshoppers are damn fine machines.
  3. irishsoul

from georgia

Thanks, Woody.
  4. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I have run Grasshoppers for 7 years now and won't use anything else due to the quality and reliability. I run each machine up to about 1200-1500 hours each and then get new ones. The only maintenance I have to do is general servicing (oil change, lube, fluids etc) and the occasional belt that snaps from wear but other than that they are bullet proof. Everybody has their preference but I have no reason to ever switch from a Grasshopper knowing I will never be down on a job.
  5. irishsoul

from georgia

Thanks Parkerlawn!
    Question 2: How are they priced compared to a Hustler for instance. Currently, I'm looking at a Mini-z for about $6,100. Anybody know?
  6. cityboy

cityboy LawnSite Member

Comparing the major specs like engine size and deck size, I think the mid mounts are comparably priced to the Hustler. However, I think the main reason to go with the Grasshopper is the front mount, which I found to run about $1,500 more than a comparable mid mount. There is just more mower there when the deck is out front. I agree that the GH is a very high quality machine, well engineered.
  7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto that