Are Great Dane mowers good, what about Gravely and others?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rott_dobe, Jul 1, 2004.

1. rott_dobe

rott_dobe LawnSite Member

I'm researching a ZTR for my 2 acres. I have lots of trees and one slope...probably about 15 degrees. I want a good commercial mower that will last a LONG time. I take good care of my equipment, and would like to get 20 years out of this thing if possible.

Anyway, I have almost every dealer in my vicinity except for Country Clipper. I've visited two dealers so far. One carries Exmark and Hustler, the other carries Gravely and Great Dane. I really like the dealer that carries the Gravely and Great Dane for what that is worth.

So my first question is how are Great Danes compared with Gravelys, Exmarks, Hustlers?

Next, after reading some of these forums, I have now opened up my thinking to Grasshopper, Ferris, Scag and Walker also.

I know I need to do a lot of demoing, and every dealer I've met with or called is more than willing to let me demo these units. Before I get that far I like to try and be as informed as possible, and was hoping I could get some professional opinions of the different brands.

I was hoping to get a 50-60" cut and be in the $7-$8k mark. I believe that will rule out Walker, but I haven't heard ANY about the price of those mowers. Also, if the best one out there happens to cost $8300, I'm not going to rule it out because of $300, I'll just wait another couple of months before I purchase.

Thanks for any insight you guys can give me.

2. rott_dobe

Should I take the 8 views and no responses to indicate Great Danes are not a very popular choice among professionals?

Even if you don't have any information on Great Danes, please let me know which brands to really look into and which to stay away from. If all of the brands I mentioned are pretty much equal, that would be good to know also.

Some of the actual models I'm looking at include:

Gravely PM152Z (23HP Kaw, 52 in deck)
    Huslter Super Mini Z (25HP Kaw, 52 in deck)
    Exmark Lazer HP (23HP Kaw, 52 in deck)
    Great Dane Chariot (23HP Kaw, 52 in deck)
    Ferris IS1000z (23HP Kaw, 52 in deck)

I haven't looked enough at Grasshoppers, Scags and Walkers to know which of those models to add to the list...

Please give this ZTR newbie some help before he drives his wife COMPLETELY crazy listening to him babble on and on....

3. FreshCuts

FreshCuts LawnSite Member

When I was looking earlier this year, I looked at what was available in my area without driving and hour to the dealer. When it come to service and parts that makes a differance. I narrowed it down to Exmark and Gravely. After looking closely at both, the Gravely 260z had a lot more options that were standard on it. If I added the options to the exmark then it would have cost about $900 more than the Gravely. I have been very pleased with the purchas. I would have to drive nearly and Hour to get to a Skag or hustler dealer so I didnt look at them. Like I said before look at who is within a reasonable distance from you to help narrow things down. There are several good mowers on the market now and a lot of opinions and I am not saying that Gravely is the best just the best deal for me. Oh and I paid $7899 plus tax for mine without the EYE-Q gizmo. I felt that was $200 I could spend elsewhere.

4. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I have never used a great dane. However I have a gravely 36" wb and an ariens 21 wb and am very happy with both. If I were to buy a z I would probably stick with the gravely ariens product. Am looking at the 152 for next year.

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a Great Dane 52" Super Surfer, it suits my needs just fine.. Nothing wrong with them in my oppinion. DEMO DEMO DEMO....

6. rott_dobe

Thanks for the information!

Freshcuts,
    That seems like a pretty good deal on the Gravely 260. Obviously you feel it is worth the extra money to get a 200 series over the 100 series in the Gravelys. Can you comment on why and if it would be worth it to "Joe Residential" (me) to pay the extra money for a PM252 or PM260 over the PM152 or PM160?

Thanks again!

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The ferris, eXmark, hustlers are good choices.

I would stay away from great dane(junk), Gravely have to many company problems. They are losing dealers left and right. Two in my area in 4 months. They already stopped building tractors.

8. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely makes a great mower. The only thing I didn't like (and to me it was major) is the handles. The way they have you just sort of 'flop' them up into place isn't secure plus it allows some play in the total hydro drive linkage right where they hinge.

However, my dad bought a PM260Z and loves it. I've mowed with it and it seems to do a very good job. I have not had it in wet conditions so I can't help you there. I could buy a new PM260z with a 25 hp Kaw or a 27 hp Kohler for $7199 and the Eye-Q is standard now. That's a very good mower for the money!

Gravely is a good company with a good reputation. I'm sure you can't go wrong with one.

The Dane I don't know a thing about.

9. apluslawn

apluslawn LawnSite Member

Great dane does make a very good ztr I have a chariot 25 kh 52 in chariot I have had very little problems and think they are a very good unit the only problem ive heard about them is customer support but i think it is changing If you trust your dealer I would go with the dane:cool:

10. rott_dobe

Steve,

Where can you get a Gravely PM260Z for $7199 in your area. It may be worth a drive back to my home state if I can save about $1000!