Are John Deere Riding Tractors Next At Home Depot??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jonspolaris, Mar 30, 2001.

1. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

i see in the most recent Home depot flyer that they carry John Deere push mowers. Has anyone compaired ther price to the price that a JD dealer would sell them for??
    does anybody know what the JD dealers think about HD selling there Product??

Now how Long before HD sells John deere Riding tractors??

thanks

2. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Home Depot already sells John Deere built lawn and garden tractors. There sold under the Scott's brand name, but I doubt you'll see the green and yellow ones there.

3. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

i know they have the Scotts brand at HD. i thought that Scotts was a "watered-down" version of a JD. i was surprised to see a full blown John deere push mower at HD. so if they would sell a JD push mower, why not a Riding mower or Tractor???

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The tractor, Scotts, that they currently sell at The Home Depot is the bottom of the line John Deere. There are very few features that a John Deere, or for that matter a Sabre, and a Scotts share. I wholeheartedly encourage my competitors to continue buying these fine mowers.

5. steve

steve LawnSite Member

Over the next few years John Deere will be selling all they're lawn & garden equip at Home Depot. Also they are going to make they're dealers train the home depot employees how to sell JD.

Where do you get service??? Your local JD service center (your former JD dealer)

I think the JD dealers will be dropping JD over the next couple years!

6. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

RICHARD!!!
    ME TOO!!!!
    The more of those ridding belly mowers those guys get the more work I get. Those things tear yards up!!

7. Rodg

Rodg LawnSite Member

Exxxcuse me for being rude-but I run a walker and also one of those JD "belly mowers." Sorry to burst your bubble, but a lot of my people have a preference as to which rider I use on their lawn...and it isn't the walker! John Deere builds a good machine-anybody who thinks differently should drive down the block and see how many John Deere dealers they run into compared to "other" mowers. John Deere runs and runs and keeps on running! Can't say that about my walker! It gives me more trouble in one month than my JD has given me in 3 years!

8. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

What have ya'll been smoking????? Deere dealers are gonna drop the Deere line!!!!! What horseschitt is that. Deere dealers make a killing off the Deere lawn and garden tractors because they sell so many of them. There the most popular lawn tractor built. Even the cheapo's that buy murrays dream of owning a Deere tractor oneday. Deere dealers that I know ain't about to give-up a moneymaker. Did you really hear this somewhere, or just make it up?

9. steve

steve LawnSite Member

I heard it somewhere

10. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Our local Lowes is just like a Home Depot and they sold the JD Sabre (Lime green color) models for a few years. The JD dealer was ticked because he sold it as well but not at the same low price as the Lowes. The JD dealer quit having any in the showroom right after the salesman told me that.

Our Walmarts our now selling the same Snapper 21" that I use. I do not see too many being sold though at $580.00 I bought mine a few years back at about $620.00 from the dealer. Just seems too much money for a Walmart item.

Several years ago our Sam's club was selling a commercial walkbehind and a ztr. I believe they were made by Black Rock Manufacturing. They were called gold eagle or something like that. Good prices on them too.