1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Are Jungle Wheels really worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cheesedawg1, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

After my first year in the business. I am deciding to get Jungle Wheels (the two wheel ones) and a Redmax 7001. I do not feel like spending over $800 for these two items. So I am thinking about not getting the two wheel sulky. Is it really worth it meaning will it save me a lot of time? What about all the knee and back problems I hear? Will be hard to control?

2. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky LawnSite Member

I really like riding a velky. I have a zero turn, but I like a walk-behind. I have a one wheel on one and a two wheels on another. The two wheel rides better but the one wheel turns better. I am a 230 pound man and I think that is why I do not like the one wheel one as much. But one of my friends that is much small than I am, likes the one wheel better.

3. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

Yes, they are worth it... I can't remember exactly but I think increase in production by at least 25%.... I'm sure one of the full time pro's here can correct me if I'm wrong.

4. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Get the wheels......

B

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I use them both. I have the velky x2 two wheel by wright mfg. I had looked at the jungle wheels first, but they weren't built as good, in my opinion and with the velky x2 I didn't have to buy an adaptor blade to bolt it to my mower.It is easy to control and turns are not a problem.I have LESS knee and back problems since this purchase. I used to barely be able to walk after a long day due to my back. No more. As far as the blower is concerned, I just didn't realize how much time I'd save on leaf cleanups with a more powerful blower. There is a world of difference between different makes of backpack blowers. I cant really say which one I could do without. Its a choice I wouldn't want to make.

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Im getting rid of mine. They do NOT increase productivity on my metros....4 gear either way. The killer is that i believe the jungle wheels to be the culprit of rutting. Sure, i leave them off when its super wet, but over time they are having their effect. Slam me if you choose, but mine are gone...most likely for good.

7. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Mac, my velkie increased my productivity due to fact that I can mow in 5th sometimes and 4th all of the time. When I was doing all that walking I couldn't do it in 4th all day long,Especially in 98 degree summer heat. Zero rutting problems with mine, this could be due to differences in our areas.

8. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Speaking of you not wanting your wheels..... do you know a good place any of you guys know a good place to purchase a used pair of those Jungle Wheels? I know the retail is $295. Anywere else cheaper?

9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Ebay.

I would NOT consider owning a WB without a Velkie. No chance. Once you try one, you'll never want to walk again. My first few years, I didn't even know they were optional, just thought it was part of the machine. lol

10. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Opinions are like butholes, everyone has one. Yes, they have their places, but not on my residentials. They dont save time and we dont mind walking...infact i like the exercise. I have gotten many a client because we only use walkbehinds, and we dont ride behind them. Its all about perception, and once a client is convinced the ztrs and velkies are bad for their lawns (It only takes on ignorant LCO to give them this impression), i move in for the bank. cha ching