Are Lawn Vacuums any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Oct 26, 2002.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering if the small push or self propelled walk behind lawn vacuums are any good for leaf clean up. I know Billy Goat makes several models and they seem to be very well built. Are they a useful tool or should I stick to a bag on my mower and my Echo PB650 blower?

2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

joed, I have a Troy Built with the chipper shredder on it. The only thing we use it for is doing hedge clean ups. Of course we have a Walker so we a bit spoiled but I don't think the vacuums would do a whole lot. You could always rent one for a day and try it out.

I was at Jutzi's sale in Breslau today and a Parker went for Can$250 I was considering it but didn't bother. The F350 crew cab dumps went for $2600 and $3400 I missed them both, now I'm kicking my azzz.
    How far from Sandhill or Caledon are you located. I'm up near Lake Huron, I travel to Toronto to auction sales a few times per year have two coming up in a few weeks.
    http://mrjutzi.ca/102602.html

3. like anything you need the right tool for the job. I use my billy goat for leaf clean up on small residential props-1 to 3.5 k of turf. (also use a pb650)
    they are built well, I've had mine for 9+ years-bags and engine are only maintenance
    also works well for picking up thatch after de-thatching and any other clean up when you don't want to blow the debris somewhere

cantoo has best advice-rent one to see if it does what you need

4. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

Bob,

Will your Billy Goat pick up acorns and hickory nuts ?. I started a thread below looking for something that will pick them up ?

Thanks!
    Kelly

5. Don't have either here so I can't answer-does pick up aluminum cans, sticks, and small stones.
    remember what you are going to vacuum up is going through an impeller blade that could be damaged

6. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

i rented one on saturday morning to see if it was worth picking one up... and i came to the conclusion they suck (in the derogatory tense). worthless! sure they have a bigger bag then a 21" pusher but they don't really chop up the leafs into a mulch. i used it for an hour and it wasted more time then a 21". so after trying one out I am not going to get one. but you should rent one just to see if you like it.

7. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

joed, What kind of mower do you run. Read my thread below about the accelerator bagger I purchaced from capt devo. If this will work for you, you will be amazed.And the setup even worked on acorns as well.

8. What kind of leafs were you picking up? I find that mine chops them about 1/3 to 1/4 of original volume. Things like dry maples leafs turn to dust.

A hint for getting it to work better-there is a big metal thing on top that has a handle on the end of a rope. Pull er a few times and when she starts making noise she'll work a whole bunch better than just pushing around quite. ;)
    Your helpful friend
    Bob

9. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I use my billygoat chip/vac alot this time of season, theres not alot of leaves down yet, and it does a great job on the crubs,and parking lots. Two more weeks ill just be mulching them with ZTR....but will still be useing it on the Business lots......Marks Mowing Service