1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are Lowballers Good For Business???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tn Lawn Man, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, with all this talk of low-ballers, Scrubs and the like, I would like to throw out a ridiculous question. (Oh, and I am really bored right now)

Is it possible that low-ballers are good for business?

Here is the thought behind them possibly being good for business.

I am "Joe Customer" who has traditionally gone with either Johnny down the street or the lowest priced LCO I can find. With that, of course, comes usually: a poor quality cut, poor customer service and they never stay in business very long causing me to switch LCOs mid-season on a regular basis.

Ok, I am sick and tired of always having to "hassle" with my lawn care needs. So, I bite the bullet and call one of the more established companies. The bid is considerably higher but I decide to do it.

Everything is great. Great service, great cut, the works.

Customer begins to think....well maybe the higher price is worth it. I don't have the "hassles" that I used to.

BTW This actually happened to an out of state friend of mine. Got sick and tired of wondering if his lawn was going to be mowed this week or not. Found a new LCO and has been happy for over a year now.
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Just do a Search as there are probably 10,000 threads on this very subject as it has been discussed many, many times before this post. Enjoy, as you'll find a lot of reading and opinions on it.
  3. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Is it possible that low-ballers are good for business?

They are bad for everyone, INCLUDING THE CUSTOMER!

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no, they are not, simply because there are alot of guys doing great work at lowball prices, and there are alot of guys doing crap work at premium rates. an example is: there was a guy here, excellent at everything, from treatments, to mowing maint, to retaining walls/landscaping, everything. he got his over head up so high, by buying so much equipment, he actually had to start lowballing , just to get enough work to keep his operation afloat. a cheap price will get your foot in the door, a quality job will keep you there.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Only good thing about lowballers (the ones you know of) is throwing work their way that you don't want.
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

As a wise man once said " Only if they last long enough before there out of business" :D

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

"A cheap price will get your foot in the door, a quality job will allow you to charge as needed." I changed the last sentence of bobbygedd's post. And we have to define "low baller" as compared to someone that is efficient and can make good money at "lower prices".

I am not going to sit here and play a "I am worth so much an acre, and by golly that is what it will cost the customer" when the going rate may be a bit less. I am have placed myself in a position to charge the going rate and make a very very good bottom line.
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what does "as needed" mean? as needed to live in a $100,000 house? as needed to live in a $300,000 house? as needed to live in a $1,000,000 house? what is "as needed"? there is no such thing as "as needed", since our "needs" and desires are not the same. the market has been set, period. you don't charge "as needed", there is a definite point of customer resistance. the cap is there. the ONLY WAY TO DO IT, is to put the cart before the horse. how much will the public pay for this service? ok, when u figure out that number, then u must figure out how to run your business to that number. i know a guy who lives in a roach infested one bedroom apartment. all it takes to keep this simple minded guy happy is his rent money, a daily pack of cigarettes, a 6 pack, and a couple hamburgers. he so stupid he thinks he's living large. his prices are dirt cheap, but he's charging "as needed". so his "as needed" is alot different than yours and mine
  9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Every winter this topic comes up. Is it because people have nothing better to do than whine about scrubs and lowballers?

Personally, I don't care. I'm sure that just like most things in life, lawn care service prices operate on a bell curve. Some companies are at the high end, some at the low end, most right in the middle at average. The high end people are most likely the full service people that aim at the high end customers that have money to waste. The lowballers suck up all the cheap people that still expect Johnny Neighborhood to mow the lawn for $5 and a glass of milk. Most of us aim at the middle and get average prices.

Any way you slice it, I don't care. I don't spend time worrying about lowballers, high ballers, or other average competition. Focus on yourself and the things you can control and you'll do just fine. It's worked for me for 9 years now.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good point.