1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are lunches a write off?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gene $immons, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Say I go to McDonalds and either buy lunch for myself, or for my crew. Is this a tax write off?
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

yep..business expense
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Ask an accountant.
  4. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

My CPA said that you either had tyo have abusiness metting wich could include safety meeting type or and over so many miles from home location think she said 50 mile but not for sure Have a great day.
  5. new2nash

new2nash LawnSite Member

...the typical McDonald's lunch is not a write off
  6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Lunch IS a write off but you MUST talk business during the lunch you wish to deduct. Just getting lunch for yourself is NOT deductable. First I ever heard of the 50 mile clause. Hope this helps.
  7. down size

down size LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Yes lunchs can be. We are a incorporation and I have to show so many minutes of meeting a month. I try to have one a week!
  8. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

I take that back:hammerhead: ...Yes you can claim meals (not just lunch) if you are out of town (on the road). That 50 mile rule is probably correct. Sorry for the mix-up.
  9. PlantSolutions

PlantSolutions LawnSite Member

You can not write off yourself, especially on a daily basis unless you are out of town on business. However, if you take the crew to lunch and have a meeting, you can write it off as an expense. Need to keep receipt and put who and when on the receipt.
  10. BladeRunner1967

BladeRunner1967 LawnSite Member

What if you bought a bunch of deli meats and cheese's for the guys once a month? Would that be deductible. Business would be discussed of course.