Are many of us responsible for LOWBALLERS in the mower parts and accessory industry?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnagent, Feb 10, 2004.

1. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Another thread got me to thinking. I have saw the vast multitudes of users on this site who get fighting mad over lowballers and scrubs. People always talk about how we should make x amount of dollars per hour. If not we are only driving the price down for the rest of us in the industry. Or how someone came by and undercut us by $5.00 and got our account. And how %#*^ mad we are about it.

Now we are also one industry that sems to be bound and determined that alot of us are gonna shop around and find our mower parts and accessories as cheap as we can find em. Some completely forsake their neighborhood independently owned dealer to buy their parts from some online company on the oppoisite side of the United States because they are cheaper.

Isn't this the same as " The pot calling the kettle black"? or metal or whatever?I used to have a LARGE greenhouse business for my area.Alocal Southern States store would constantly flood the airways of the local radio station with ads about keeping your money in the county and supporting your locally owned and operated Southern States store. Do you think they would buy plants from me? Heck no!:angry: They would not even look at my plants. They said all their plants come from Bonnie Plant Farm and would continue to do so.
    So as you can tell, I personally do not think much of the idea of buying from some far off or online place. What is everyone elses opinion of this?

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm one to complain about lowballers, but I am also one who price shops on certain things just to get a good deal. Here is the way I look at it, people who are price shopping for a service don't realize that a lot of times the real cheap peoples service aint worth a crap, where as the real high priced people are just ripping people off. I like to be in the middle of them. I look at it different for a product though, if I know of a product I want, brand name, part number etc... I am going to shop around for the cheapest price because I know what I am getting. All of the sellers should get the product at the same price. I hope this makes sense cause im just rambling on now.

3. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

It may be the same thing. When my dealer charges $48 for a set of blades that I can get for $24, why would I go belly up? Competition make america work. Will the dealer go out of business or lower his prices? Will you go out of business or lower your prices? It only means we must get better at what we do and how we do it. Luckly for us there is a lot of thing we can change. So I think, Change we must, and change I will. That is why I read this site so much.

Bill

4. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

No bad points made but Littleriver you say "Will you go out of business or lower your prices?" They are one in the same. I know there are alot of people out there that are ripping people off and also those on the opposite end. For example I charge $35 for a lawn to make money and the next guy comes along and charges $30 or even $25. Lower my price to get/keep the account? While I know that I am not ripping these people off nor am I cheating myself I can not compete with the typical "lowballer". I have never said anything about any of these threads about "lowballers" as to what I think a lowballer is.
    1. Doesn't pay taxes
    2. Not insured

That is it. If you have both 1. and 2. then in MY MIND I don't believe that anyone has the right to call you a lowballer (Speaking of just cutting grass mind you)

My point is no I will not lower my prices to stay in business I will just do a lot better of a job then the next guy. Make a guy pay his taxes and insurance and see how his prices change. 5 and 10 dollars per job seem small compared to the thousands you pay in taxes and insurance.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I look at it this way. If your crying about lowballers, well then sell yourself to customers who want their lawn maintained, not hacked down every couple weeks to keep the city off them. As for mower parts, if you want a mechanic, maybe they will have the parts and will fix it today, or maybe not..... so if not, then buy the parts cheaper somewhere else and fix it yourself. This is what I do, and if i need to go to a dealer for something i dont expect them to drop everything for me, and if someone bids a lawn cheaper than me, well so be it. It is still a free country the last time I looked.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if lowballers want to be around, thats fine by me, they just make my quality of work look that much better. But when it comes to them applying illegal pesticides, or providing the customer with inaccurate information that hurts our industry, that is when I get mad.

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Husker, I like your definition of lowballers. It is the best I've heard yet. But what about the ones who have no insurance and don't pay taxes but they have nice equipment and do a great job, all the time charging the same high dollar as if they were paying insurance and taxes?:laugh:

8. lowmiler

lowmiler LawnSite Member

The marketplace determines the price of goods and services. We are providing a product. That product has a cost. Each of us has a different cost for our product. If we are working on a thin margin, or high cost, then we have little room for price adjustment. Efficiency in our product reduces cost. What we strive for. Lower costs equals higher margins. With this advantage we are able to gain market-share by reducing our margin, or profit. We then can drive the inefficient providers from the marketplace.

9. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree 100% with Husker. That's the difference between the lowballers and us, Taxes & Insurance. But to answer the question about shopping for a lower price again its's all about the product or service your getting, if you can get the same blades at a lower price then I say get them, but if you buy sh-tty blades or any piece of equipment just because it's cheaper,then you are a moron. Also it comes down to loyalty, thi word is a two way street if you have a local guy ( dealer ) who is loyal to you and treats you well, the you should give him the business or at least give him the chance to compete with the lower price.

10. energy

energy LawnSite Member

What a lousy topic. Everyone does what they need to survive. It all matters how hungry you are. If you know you have high prices and you know people shop around, you better try to make the price a little more closer. My local dealer drives a Hummer, you think i buy a lot of stuff from him? I want to drive the Hummer and i will do what it takes to get it.