Are Maxipaws really that bad?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ple_1969, Dec 31, 2011.

1. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

Over the summer I posted about the system that I'm going to build this spring. Got some really good advice :)Since this system will be fed by a river I was thinking about using Maxipaws. I tried the I-20 and RB 5004 and liked them, however nervous about particulates clogging the gears or scoring the internals.

So my question is... are the maixpawas really that bad? Please note that I am a homeowner, so if it needs some cleaning that would not be an issue.

If I use a 100 mesh filter would that allow the gear driven rotors?

Pete

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Even 100 mesh filtration is not absolute proof against problems with gear-drive heads. You will like the results you see with Maxipaws, and can minimize issues with the personal attention you can afford to give your own property.

3. I like maxipaws and wouldn't hesitate to use them. I'll put their durability up with any of the residential gear drive rotors. I also think they can be adjusted for better du than the rotors as well. May be the only rotor type head that one can cheat on spacing and get away with it.

Having said that they don't pop up very high and in today's 4" cutting heights would need weed eating to keep the grass from interfering with the stream.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Avoid having Maxis around Terrior-type dogs, though the service work is great. payup

5. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

Mike - if you had to choose between:

- I20
    - RB 5004
    - Maxipaw

what would you choose?

6. Wet_Boots

Toro 300 series stream rotors

7. Mike Leary

I'd never use a Maxi, the're junk and should be only used by pikers when the pressure is so piss-poor as to not support anything else. If I had pressure that bad, I'd have a talk with the client to see what we could do about it. The RB 5000/5500 6" stainess and the Hunter I-20 6" "Ultra" stainless are the best heads on the market, period.

8. Mike Leary

5500 with MPR nozzles, looks like too much front end loading, but tests proved I was wrong.

DSCN2665RB.jpg

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Finally someone said it .... :clapping:

10. Wet_Boots

OP is pumping river water - Maxipaws fit the conditions