Are my Bearings Shot?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by battags, Jun 2, 2005.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone describe what it sounds like when your spindle bearings are going? My 54" Bobcat w/b is making one heck of a rattle when the blades are engaged. The cut is not the same either. Bearings?

Brian

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If the cut is being affected it most likely is bearings.

Grab the blades one at a time and see if you get any side to side movement in the spindle.

3. battags

They dont seem loose in any way. I see in J-thomas that bearings are around 30 each for the upper and lower sets. Is that something I can try replacing myself or worth the hassle of taking it to the dealer?

Brian

4. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Have you greased the spindles recently?

5. Bitter

Bitter LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

could there be something out of balance? perhaps one of the blades is out of balance?

take the blade off and balance it on something, like a nail in a vise. thats the easiest way to find if its out of balance.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The bearings can be tight and still be bad,Remove the belt and free spin the blade and listen for any growling noise If they make any noise at all they are bad and need replacing. Do the same check with the belts off on idler pulleys also if it growls replace it also.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

True enough, good info.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Try, with the belt disengaged, to 'wobble' each blade with your hand (like up-down). If they move, it's the bearings and now you know which set(s) :)

9. battags

OK, I guess I was hoping for some other diagnosis. With the belt off, they wobble somewhat. Not much, but enough to affect the cut quality. When free spinning them, as suggested, grinding and friction.

How long can I expect to get out of a spindle assembly? Thoughts on running doubles adding to premature failure?

Brian

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The last Bobcat I rebuilt the spindles on had the aluminum housing,I drilled and tapped the housing for a grease fitting and popped the inner grease seals out of the bearings. Thus longer life.