Are my prices to low

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SharpCutLC, Sep 23, 2007.

1. SharpCutLC

SharpCutLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have been in this field for over 10 years and have 100 accounts and was looking to see that you guys are getting per yard. Our avg. yard takes about 20-30 min. im getting about $1 per min. with two guys on the job one being me with all new equip. shold my prices be higher. We are from ohio. id appreciate your comments to help me out.

thanks
    mike

2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I am a one man operation with all 3-5 year old equipment, most paid for. I am making a dollar per minute on most of my yards (some more or less). You probably should because of having new equipment and a helper be charging/ making more than 1 dollar per minute. That said, if you are making your bills and payments, putting money away and having some "fun" money, then you are doing just fine.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If any more than 9 out of 10 callers say yes to my estimate, my prices are too low.
    I know that sounds sick, but that's the only way I get what I do, which is about $1 a minute solo.
    Everybody sees this at different times, I saw this about a year or two ago...
    You might think it's too late, but had I waited I would have more customers now...
    So it's never too early, never too late.

With the years you have in, I might recommend increasing your current advertising some kind of way, not so sure about trying a new method, it's all a bit trial and error and you will lose some customers... But with 10 years I'm the one needs to be taking lessons from you, I can't see how, with your level of experience and expertise, why you and a helper shouldn't make noticeably more than I do by myself.

Yes it is as they say, it hurts at first.
    But you'll be better off later down the road.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sure you're probably charging enough, as long as you are profiting. Really, there's only so much any LCO can charge for mowing. In any area of the country there's going to be an 'expected price' or small range of prices for whatever an average lot is there. You have to work within the expected price range.

Around here, $35 for an 'average lot' is easy to get. This is for a 5k lot (turf area) give or take 1-2k. There are people who will pay $40 of course, and also there are LCO's that will go down to $25. But most customers expect to pay in the $30's.

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

so are you charging $1 per man-minute or $1 per minute total? $.50 per man is low.

6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Im a solo in Mich and I cannot get a dollar per minute. No way. My 40 dollar lawns take 1 hour or even a little more. My 50 to 60 lawns take me 1 hour 15 minutes. Im not low either, Im in the ballpark here. Im a bit slow but my lawns are near perfect when I leave. Edged, Trimmed,and I blow off patios and porches and all cemeent and blacktop. I bid one the other day at 35 and was told the big company with a crew that was doing it charged 30. Even the big boys dont make squat around here.

7. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Why were they looking for another cutter? Did you ask?

Tell them you try and leave "my lawns near perfect when I leave" .. near perfect takes longer, that's why it cost a little more.

8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

So... In a years time you went from 30 something thousand dollars and don't believe everything you read on this forum to 120 thousand and I make a dollar a minute...... :rolleyes:

I don't think we have enough info to say whether you are charging enough.. you could be using 21's or how effecient you and your helper are, what your market will bear, etc...

9. SharpCutLC

SharpCutLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

thanks guys for the replys. i am making money and making payments and having lots of fun doing it. we use 07 f-250 and two exmark lazers and nothing over 3 years old. i just wanted to see what the new trends are with charging since i havent increased in a while.

10. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been able to bid lawns somewhere around 4,000 square feet, maybe less, for $35, which should be $60 an hour with a 32-36" walk-behind if there aren't too many obstacles to trim around, I'm hoping; they take almost an hour with a 21"; My smallest lawn I get $25 without the alley, but I finished in 30 minutes. And this is in San Antonio, where the cost of living is not too bad. On larger lawns I don't seem to be able to make near as much per hour, but I'm that will change with better equipment.