Are outfront mowers worth the $$$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thenewone, Dec 26, 2005.

1. thenewone

thenewone LawnSite Member

I am 17 yrs. old. I started maintaining lawns last year. I had a total of 6 clients. I run a John Deere HD45 48" walkbehind. If all goes as planned and I market correctly (im going to a vocational school for marketing), i plan to acquire around 20-30 clients. The yard sizes range from 1/2 an acre all the way to a solid 3 acres. I bag in the fall for the leaves (i have a place to take them), and during the main gowing season (i put the grass clippings in the woods). I also want to do fall and spring clean-ups as well as side projects like creating and mulching beds. I'm thinking that the Walker MT20GHS would suit my needs but if you get the right options and acc. it turnes out to be around $10,000- $12,000. I have looked at Grasshopper mowers and i like them and all the accessories, but i can't get a price on them to save my life. I know i can practically get two Wright 52" Standers (or 2 Scag Tiger Cubs) for the price of the Walker. What Im trying to say is do you think the outfront mowers are all worth their pretty hefty price tag? Or do you think i should stick with getting a small mid-mount rider and rent the implements that i oculd use on the outfront mowers. I want to use stuff like a dethatcher, aerator, sprayer, and the Walker dealer rents some implements I would use like a Bedshaper. If I got the mid-mount mower would the walkbehind Bluebird equipment do the same thing as the implements for less? Thanks and a Happy Holidays to everybody.

2. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

i've never used a scag or walker, i do like the design of the walkers though. if you like deeres, at one point i had a F620, with power flow bagger. it had a 54" deck, and side power flow unit, and 9 bu. hopper on the back. very similar to the walker i guess. the hopper dumped from the seat. you could also leave the hopper on, and remove the plowerflow unit, and still operate under normal, non-bagging conditions. the powerflow unit hung on a mounting bracket, and a belt connected to its own dedicated clutch pulley that didn't interfere with anything else. the only thing i didn't like was the size, i was spoiled on a mid-z, and the front-z was longer, and with the power flow it was wider than i liked, but it was really great for going under bushes, and certain fences.

the body of the machine lifted in the air like a drag car body. and was very easy to service.

if a machine is that easy to service, and bagging is that convienent, no matter what brand, then i would say yes its well worth the money. but it sounds like walker has a lot to offer. around here we all rent pull behind bed edgers from the local rental shops. i actually use a garden tractor for the rest, all the tow behind equipment was stuff i acquired when i needed it, not right away.

i don't know what your situation is, but if you wanna save money, buy something smaller, with a smaller bagging unit. then when you get more accounts you can work your way up to what you need.

good luck, no matter which direction you go. having the right stuff to do the job will only help you out. wait until you mow those 3 acres with a ZTR.

3. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like you will be bagging full time no matter what you choose. Both front-mounts and mid-mounts have decent bagging units. Either of these ZTRs will cover your main agenda.

Many attachments are available for front-mounts. Most front-mounts use a PTO shaft to drive some attachments like a snowblower. There are fewer attachments available for a mid-mounts but the list of attachments are growing (most of the time through other venders). Certain attachments for a mid-mount will require their own power source (ie snowblower).

Next you will have to ask yourself how often you will use the other attachments and are the worth owning VS renting them. If you rent, will your rental company have them when you need them?

Do you plan and growing in size? Will you be adding employees and additional equipment? What I am getting at is your trailer size and how equipment will fit on it. DeereHauler pointed out that front-mounts are longer. You can't get as many front-mounts on a trailer as you can with mid-mounts.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I think you need to grow your business about 10 times before worrying about 12k mowers. If the time comes that your big enough to need that mower you won't be concerned with the cost

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I concur...

6. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

And I'll 2nd this

7. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

yeh, unfortuantley kid, I too must agree. Stick with what you got for now and grow the biz.

Good luck!