Are pavers installed the same as Rock?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Apr 20, 2009.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I like to use stone dust for my rock work and I got a paver job and am wondering if everything is done the same way with these as rock. You can still use stone dust for the base, right? compacted in a couple 2 inch layers on top of landscape fabric and place the pavers. The only thing that's different is having to set the plastic edging stuff?

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

no no and uh no do a google search for icpi and take a class

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

well tell me what to use for the base and how its set...

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

crazy... Ive read multiple times now that you use stone dust. All these sites a wrong? http://www.paversearch.com/sand-base-materials.htm ...and you said no to compacting the layers? Gee that's different. Then another no to using the seperation fabric? Ya, okay. Thank's for your help bud.

5. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

6 or more inches of compacted (in lifts) crusher run, 21-A, or whatever they call it there over seperation fabric for your base. 3/4" of concrete sand over your base to set the pavers. Compact the whole thing after you lay the pavers.

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

thanks, so run a compactor over top of the pavers afterward?

How course is 21 A crusher run? Like quater inch pieces or one inch pieces? I'll be able to check it out at one of the yards that I get the stuff at, just curious what it looks like.

7. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Everything from 3/4" down to dust. Packs like crazy but still allows water to drain.
    If your pavers are textured on top, be sure to use something to protect the surface. I have a mat that fits my compactor, but in a pinch you can use cardboard, old carpet, etc. Anything to keep from scratching or breaking all of your hard work.

8. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

how did you GET a paver job if you dont know how to install or bid them? are you Johnny Sqaurefoot?

9. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

In our area we call it 3/4 process.

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Either that, or....log on to the forum (you all know which forum, the one where Embilla recently sent out an e-mail bad mouthing Sea Gee Land, the domain registrant / moderator that he banned!) and par-take in the all so educational Ruskturials :)

I request that LawnSite have the world renowned Rusktorials!