Are people stupid, or just no common sense?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Sep 13, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I suppose there's a thin line between stupid and no common sense. Seems like every week, some of my customers always have to do something that erks the heck out of me.
    Yea, maybe it's cause it's getting to the end of the season and I'm getting tired, but I have to tell, after dealing with some of these folks, I really don't feel like being social at the end of the day. Here are just a few examples but keep in mind, I have a policy letter that covers just about all of this stuff so it's not like they don't know about these issues. Each one is a different yard.

Excessive Dog Crap

6 chairs, two large tables, 3 huge rubber balls, two umbrellas. All in spread out over the entire yard.

5 bags of garbage in the middle of the yard.

Blocked driveway. (Three times in the same month)

Hoses, in three yards, just stretched out all over the yard.

Carpenters working all week to replace windows. Gee, ya think ya could of called me?

Painters working. Gee, ya think ya could have called me?

Glass bowl in middle of yard.

2 Large Adirondack chairs. These were heavy. Must be made of cherry. Right smack in the middle of the yard.

"Can you bag my grass this week but only in one part, don't mow the rest. Should come out to be the same price right? And oh yea, could you put the clippings into plastic bags for me?"

"Why should I have to pay more to mulch up my leaves when it takes you the same amount of time?"

"Could you spray this on all my bushes once a month?...Shouldn't take but a few minutes." I responded with a price. "Just to spray a few (30) bushes?"

All this and all the idiot drivers out there. As of next week, if I get one more car that doesn't understand what 4 flashers, 2 cones, and 6 flashing strobes mean, I'm filing a complaint with the police.

Customer decided they would do some gardening. The rocks they dug up (average size of each rock was about softball or baseball) should be placed on the lawn. There were 18 or 20 in all.

Another customer weeded garden. Left hoe in grass, face up. Almost didn't see it going around tree.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Put an end to it, send them a bill for the additional work/headaches
    If they pay you won't mind the crap and if they don't you won't have them as customers

3. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

you forgot about the ones that park there car on the grass,and after you pack up and get ready to leave ,they finally come out to move it

4. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

tram, I think your sig line works best for this one. :hammerhead:

Rob

5. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

start mowing around all that stuff, dont move it. any dog crap i come across i mow around it, or do a wheelie over it.(hard to do with a ztr)he he.

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

or when someone as teenage kids who dont respect anything and leave their pellet guns laying around the yard for me to break, and then shattering glass all over the backyard so either 1. I dont cut, and get bitched at, or two picking it up and sending them a bill and then still get bitched at.

and lets not forget those people who have a Harley but dont know how to start it up and move it out of the way when its blocking the driveway.

7. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I did that and I can tell you it does work. I trim around it and the next time, magically, the yard is clean.

Except this one customer. If she didnt have me doing 3 estate homes, I would have dropped her. Dog poop EVERYWHERE...lady, I am here at the same time, each day, every week for the past 3 years. She is first on my list every friday morning.

8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

My pet peeve is hoses left out. I'll tell them about it the first time and if it's still out the next week I mow around it. If I'm in a REALLY bad mood I've been known to "mulch" hoses.

9. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to pick up hoses too,but this year with the drought we've had I figure those hoses and sprinklers are keeping me cutting.(on yrds without a system). So i roll them up. I bumped prices at the first of this season on problem cases, so i'm getting $5 to roll up the hose.

10. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

I'm sure all of you guys have your pet peeves about people, and believe me, I do too, I also feel common courtesy is lacking in too many people.

But, you should look at how courteous you are towards others at the same time, and if you realize that you are just as much of a pain in the butt as these people seem to be to you, then you personally have some things to work on with yourself. I try my best to be polite and courteous to others. And of course sometimes I do make mistakes by being a pain, getting in someone's way, etc. And I will apologize to them. That is if they deserve it.

I have rode along with friends who have ridiculous amounts of road rage towards "stupid motorists", when at the same time they pull the same "A-hole" maneuvers the people they get fired up over do. I explain it to them, and it seems to go in one ear, and out the other with them.