1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are prices at the pump costing you business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Sep 8, 2005.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

With a tank of gas going from $30 to $50 since the beginning of summer, the average consumer will need to cut back on spending elsewhere.

I would assume lawn service would be a good place to start.

I have seen a lot of cancellations pour in since gas went to $3 per gallon. My customer count peaked at 252 on August 29th and has since fallen to 246.

Anyone else seeing an increase in cancellations?

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

So far you're worrying about a 1% figure but yes I noticed the trifle, too. For the most part, 99.99% of the ones who fell out really were just doing me a favor by doing something that would've come sooner or later anyhow, it's one of those things, none of my star customers (which is most of them) thus far have left.
    Someone drops me based exclusively on the price of fuel, that is as sad of an excuse as my raising prices because of it and if that is the only reason why they're leaving, then I am glad they're gone.
    The only thing I'm noticing a LARGE percentage of is a bit of a delay in payment but I think this is also a wait-and-see thing and in the end nothing to worry about.
  3. jpa375

jpa375 LawnSite Member

Yeah, same here. I went from 898 to 897.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh dear, oh no!!! :rolleyes:
  5. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I lost a couple, but these same people are behind on bills, including mine.
  6. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

lost one so far, he travels for work and he knows the increase will be coming soon enough for his lawn. we left on good terms though so its not totally a loss.
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope ..... picked up bout $250 in monthly billing since Monday
  8. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

nope no loss after i gave them a $5.00 across the board increase.i actualy picked up a few.
  9. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

That was funny!
  10. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

DFW why are you running 3 crews for 250 lawns. You are always complaining about how much you dont make and how little money your employees make but yet you have 3 crews for 250 lawns. I sure hope they arent 3 men crews.