1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

are push mowers needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by florida's lawnboy, Sep 21, 2006.

1. florida's lawnboy

florida's lawnboy LawnSite Member

do i even need a push mower if i had a walk behind or zero-turn
  2. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Im from Tampa, but I live in Atlanta now. Here in Atlanta I have only had one time to use my push mower all year so I would say it is not needed for my area. The gates are pretty much wide enough to fit a 36" in them.
    But I do know in Tampa the normal gates are not as wide so there will be a need for a 21" to take care of most back yard.

So to answer you question, It all depends on the normal sizes if gate openings in you area.:)
  3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I am in SouthEast Georgia and in the short time I have been in business and the 30 or so lawns that I have and do cut, I have not needed a pusher yet. I do have a 36" WB that fits in all of the gates I have encountered so far.

I have a friend that has a larger operation, and when and if he runs into a property that he needs on, he just buys a $100 Walmart Cheapo to use the remainder of the season and then when is worn out, tosses it. Since we rarely need to use them here, I cannot blame him. So, it all depends on the yards you are mowing and accessibility with the larger mowers.
  4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Is this a serious question?

If there was no need for them they wouldnt be made. I have had home were I could only use 21" mowers. They were not big enough lawns for anything bigger and some you couldnt get anything bigger back to the lawn to cut it.
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

What's a push mower ....

Just say No
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, down here a push mower is a must for residentials. Either get a 32'' mower or a 21'' push.
  7. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

my smallest mower is a 48" ive had people ask for push mowing, but i tell them no, i could do 4 lawns and make more money then do one lawn with a push mower, around here its mostly the elderly that dont want to pay you if it only takes you ten min. to mow, when it took them 2 hours with a push mower, it makes them feel like they are getting their moneys worth... i simply triple the cost and usually they tell me to mow it however i want.... most areas that need to be push mowed are just trimmed,, now i know most of you will say that its hack! but if your good enough with a trimmer it looks like you mowed it...i usually take all the guards off the trimmers so i let the string out about a foot, if you keep the trimmer steady and at a consistent hight, you cant tell the diff..
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't owned a push mower for 3 three years...we don't take lawns with less than a 36" gate. SHopping centers we will just weed whack.
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Not all LCO's turn down work because they have to get off their azz and walk behind a push mower. Bad advice to be giving to someone that is just starting out IMO.
  10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Good answer,LOL