1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are roof vents necessary?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PLS-Tx, Jan 30, 2006.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I planning on getting an encolsed trailer, and I want to put it under my carport. The problem is I don't think it will fit with the roof vent.

I could leave off the roof vent, and get side vents, or I could raise my carport enough so it would fit with the roof vent.

What would you do?
  2. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

It gets over a hundred degrees in my trailer when its real hot in summer. The roof vent does help a bit and I think you'll be sorry if you dont have a vent.
    Heat rises so if you can get a side vent near the top of the trailer that might work ok although I dont remember every seeing a side vent up high. Most side vents I see are down low and I assume thats for allowing fuel vapors to vent
  3. PLS-Tx

from Texas

I am concerned about the heat and not having a roof vent.

The side vents are mounted with one on one side up high, and the other on the other side down low. Down here it gets 100 degrees or more, and I'm thinking the side vents will not be enough ventilation. They also push air through when your moving, and don't do a lot while your sitting still.

I guess my best bet would be to raise my carport. :cry:
  4. GarPA

from PA

TAC...I dont know how you people do this kind of work in Texas and Florida. My hat is off to you people. "Real Men" I suppose....

Dont give up on your thread here.While far fewer guys have enclosed trlrs, many do, so keep pushing your thread here until you get a few replies from people in your southern zone. My trailer also has a fan in the roof vent. It runs if switch is on and key in truck is on. While its a small fan it does indeed move the hot air out a little more quickly than just having the vent wide open. I didnt notice that you were in Texas so knowing that, you for sure need as much ventilation back there as possible and remember that when you drive an air cooled (hot as hell engine) in there, it gets even hotter. Sometimes I wonder why things dont catch on fire back there some days.
    Enclosed trailers have their pros and cons, but I love them....except for banging shins and other body parts, and the heat.
  5. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

My last trailer had no vents. Up here in Michigan it was not a huge deal but my next trailer will have a couple vents.

Personally I do not want a roof vent. If you leave them open while driving down the road they take a beating. Also many of the better quality new trailers have a one piece roof and it may or may not be a big deal but I don't want a hole in the middle of my new one piece roof.

I have decided to have a pair of side vents installed on each side of the trailer.
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I met a fella about two years ago down here, he had a 8.5X22 enclosed trailer. Two roof vents AND side vents. I was doing some community type work with him and without those vents, I dont know how you would survive. When it is 106 in the shade, ya better have some vents.
  7. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Lower the tire pressure.:cry:
    Dig two trenches for the tires.:blob4:
    Might be easier than raising the carport.

Definately need ventilation of some sort.
    Not only for the heat, but also for the fumes.
  8. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Thanks for the help,

GarPA, It does get very hot here in the summer, you just learn to drink lots of water and Gatoraid, and soak up the A/C when you get home. Did your trailer come with those fans or did you add them after you got it.
  9. PLS-Tx

from Texas

I sure don't want to raise my carport, but I don't think I can dig trenches in concrete. :eek:

Good point about the fumes, I think the side vents only work when the trailer is moving. I want to be sure It has good ventaltion when it's parked next to my house.

:cry: :cry: I guess I'll be raising the carport. :cry: :cry:
  10. GarPA

from PA

TAC..the small fan is built right into the roof vent structure