Are Scags glory days behind them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Apr 2, 2006.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems ever since Scag introduced the TurfRunner they've been in a downward spiral. I've had both a Scag hydro and an Exmark Turf Tracer and the Scag seemed like a dinasaur, pistal grips, smaller tires, bumpy ride.. They just seem to be falling behind in research and design. A shame because my local Scag dealer is awesome. My guys after demoing them also told me not to buy one.

2. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

They used to be huge here (KC) and now you barely see them.

IMO they were good mowers but they were very awkward and weighed a ton.

3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Scag is KING in " price ", I mean nobody sells mowers more expensive than them.period. When it comes to dirt, nuts and bolts cutting grass...nah, they are no different than others. It is all about fame and fortune, glory that you pay for...BTW, I have to confess that Scag is extremely lagging behind in WB section, they still sell dinausaus pistol as their bread and butter, please give me a break!
    Look around, ECS, H bar, and now Z bar are killing them but they don't care.

4. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag Makes The Strongest Mowers Out There Period. I Think 95% Of All The Real Commercial Mower Are Good But Some Better Than Others. And On Top Is Scag. They Are Tanks And Do Everything Good.
    And If People Think Scag Is Behind Because A Pistol Grip On The Walk Behinds, Then Wow. Alot Of Other Brands Still Have Pistol Grips To And The Only Set Up I Like Better Than Pistol Grip Is The Exmark Ecs. Scag Likes The Pistol Grip And There Is Nothing Wrong With It.
    Go Put A Scag Turf Tiger, Wildcat Or Tiger Cub Against Any Out There And The Scag Will Beat It In Almost Every Way.
    And As For Pa Around Here It Is Exmark, Scag And Yazoo. You Still See Some Old Dixie Choppers And Old Walkers Alot Of That Has To Do With The Dealers In Areas To.

5. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag makes a mower that is build strong and runs great. You ever hear the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" i think that applies here. It would be nice if they offered something other than pistol grips on the walk behinds.That is the one and other reason why I'm looking elsewhere for my next one. As for riders i wouldn't look anywhere else.

I did hear rumors that they may be coming out with new controls soon(not this year) Guess we will see

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Yers, it looks like the owners of Scag have lost interest in the line. Scag is rumored to be for sale, and Briggs and Stratton is one company that is very interested in a possible purchase.

8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag still has a huge presence around the Chicago area,particularly in the walk behind segment.

9. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I like my scags:waving: ...even though there arnt many dealers around, might be trying exmark next:dancing: .
    James

10. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag has a huge presence here too. Other than Exmark you dont see much else. I think the problem is some people like all the bells and whistles and scags are pretty basic. But i got to say they get the job done and they cut great for me.