Are Scags known for leaking oil?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by iamthelawnbarber, May 28, 2008.

1. iamthelawnbarber

iamthelawnbarber LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I have a 22HP Kawasaki Scag Turf Tiger. Does anyone else have a problem with their Scags leaking oil? It leaks like a siv out of front of engine. I can't tell where it is because there's a cover there. I think it's leaking where the flywheel is. Do I have to actually pull the motor apart to repair this, or is it an easy repair like a valve cover or something? I'm putting in almost 1/2 qt a week.
    Thanks!

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag no, Kawi yes! The Kawi twins leak commonly from the upper breather gasket and plate there is an update to this problem that covers the models FH601V, FH661V, FH680V, FH721V, Fh641V that includes a new cover plate(14091-7063) and gasket(11061-7079) But you will need to pull the top shroud and flywheel to do this job and I would recommend loctite for the screws on the top plate when you reinstall. The other spot they seem to all leak from is the governor shaft seal(92049-7005) this job will require pulling the throttle plate and linkage and removing the governor arm and after reinstalling the new seal you will need to readjust your gov. arm and reset the throttle linkage. Hope this helps :)

3. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

my 2006 Wildcat with Kawi 26hp LC leaked oil from day one, Took two trips to dealer to get problem fixed. It has been dry as a bone since. 1st time we all thought it was drain assembly and they just tightned it, second time I showed it was not that and they did the job right.

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

26 lc kaw on a wildcat leaked brand new,around the brass oil change screw took it to a dealer he fixed...lets all call scag and tell em to start putting Tecumseh on the turf tigers:laugh:

5. johnp900

johnp900 LawnSite Member

You should have the Kawi FD661D. Upper main bearing problem. A bunch of posts on that issue. The FD661d does have a replaceable bushing

6. iamthelawnbarber

iamthelawnbarber LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Hi,
    I got the parts today to fix the mower. It took so long to get the parts, and now I'm having problems with my truck, but that's another story! Now I have another question...do I shallack the breather gasket?
    Thanks!

7. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

No, the gasket is ready to go no extra prep needed.

8. Ga.GrassCutter

Ga.GrassCutter LawnSite Member

I also have a FD661 leaking oil, I replaced the front crankshaft seal, that lasted about 2 mo. Now it's leaking again,, I'm hoping I can make it to winter , then a complete tear down is in order.

9. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

The scags not leaking,itz the Kawasaki........:dizzy:

10. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

My FH641V is leaking there now, dealer / mechanic says not to worry they all do it :terribletowel:

Going to put new gaskets in soon.

Old thread but same issues.