Are spread widths really this different

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turf Dawg, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I am thinking about switching to some Andersons products next year. While I was looking at some of the labels I looked to see if they listed spreader settings for my Lesco spreader. What caught my eye was on a lot of the small prill products they had listed that the Anderson spreaders had a width of 11' and on the Lesco spreaders they listed a width of 5'. Is there really that much difference? This would seem like a lot less walking on larger properties. I could easily see 11' vs 8' but 11' vs 5' just does not seem right. If the cost is not too much more I would really rather use the nice uniform small prill products for better coverage but do not want to take twice as long to spread with my Lesco.

2. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

the spread widths should be about the same on both spreaders, but I do prefer the spread pattern on the anderson's. smaller prill ferts don't spread quite as far as larger prill ferts.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Five feet spread widths for the Lesco spreader?!! That must be a missprint. I used an 11 feet width (7 feet, tire print to tire print), when I used my Scotts spreader. I am sure the Lesco works about the same.
    Depends on the speed of the spinner, hardness of granules, and application rate and more.