Are standers the future?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brit721, Dec 23, 2005.

1. brit721

brit721 LawnSite Member

With Everride purchasing the patent from Great Dane for the stander mowers, do you guys feel these are the mowers of the future, not everrides themselves but the stander models? I have also heard that exmark is in the process of purchasing the patent as well in 2006. Thank you very much for the feedback and I hope everyone has a safe and merry christmas.
  2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area there are very few Standers because most people have ZTR's and a walk behind. I think that the Standers are good for small to medium sized properties but I think they need to come down on price and get a better dealer network at least in my area. There is only one Wright dealer that is 30 miles away.
  3. brit721

brit721 LawnSite Member

Will close on a dealership next week, its called Hyatt Lawn and Garden, it has two stores one in Carrollton Ga. and one in Bowdon Ga. Trying to anticipate the market to increase sales at one of the stores, it is still somewhat new and many people do not know about it, thanks for the reply, if you ever need anything you can call me at 770-830-1922, my name is Jeremy Britt. Thanks again
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think I have seen one stander in 12 years up here. That should tell you about their future IMO...
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If they put the ECS controls like exmark has on there walks, You will see them EXPLODE in sales.

6. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

Standers have 1 major problem IMO and that is they are engineered so that more weight is placed on the front wheels to keep them from flipping over backward on hills. This renders them very hard to use in very wet conditions because the front wheels will tear turf on turns. Other than that they are great.
  7. ehchvac

ehchvac LawnSite Member

all you see around here are standers and walk behinds.
    it is rare to see a ztr here.
    what are you going to do with that size unit in an area where a big house lot is 3/4 acre and most are 1/4 acre lots.
    everythig is landscaped to death, with very little lawn.
    everyone has a gated, fenced yard.
  8. zamboni

zamboni LawnSite Member

This is why I bought a Walker. With everything so landscaped in Mass, I needed to make sure I could maintain perfection everytime. There are many walk behinds and standers, but the Walkers cut, suck and manuver the best IMO. Cheers, John