Are strip pattern nozzles any good?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by justgeorge, Apr 15, 2005.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Hi,
    I've been doing a lot of estimating where the houses have a 6' - 10' strip beside the driveway. Normally I would use a square or triangular pattern using 180 degree spray heads of the correct radius. Naturally, that uses a lot of heads. Do the 5'x15' corner strip, or even 5'x30' side strip nozzles give good coverage? How would you space them to achieve head-to-head coverage?

For example, if I had a 10'x120' strip, would you put two rows of 4 30 feet apart (starting at the 15' mark) spraying towards each other (but the spray would meet in the middle)? That isn't what I would call head-to-head coverage.

Anyone used these before?

Thanks,
    George

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

...although with enough pressure, a strip head can spread water well enough to stand alone. Get some different strip nozzles and experiment. There are some oddball side-strip nozzles that might work in a ten-foot-wide strip. A Rainbird 17SST comes to mind, watering something close to a 10 x 18 rectangle, if they get 50 psi. Now that good nozzles with small radii exist, you would water strips more economically with triangular spacing of ten foot, or eight foot radius nozzles.

3. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

the side strips are made for smaller strips. but i have also used these heads and when they say 5'x30' they really mean it and do just that so u could use them in that way. but just to be safe i wouldn't use it on anything more that 9' so that u had some overlap. 10' would actually call for the 10' hunters 10' apart for 12 spray heads.
    thats just my take on it