1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are tank sprayers dangerous because of spills?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Oct 1, 2007.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

Are tank sprayers dangerous because of spills. Is this why so many people use pgs. I personally think you should have more control with different types of mixes and you will not have to go back through with a backpack unlike a pg.
  2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Except for our 800 gallon tanker truck, we use 300 gallon Tuflex tanks in HD2500 pickup trucks. Several units are split tanks. Never any spills ever.
  3. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Someone else posted here recently that they just carry water in their nurse tank and mix on site. I tried this last week and it seems to work ok for me. The nurse tank has a weedwacker type engine/pump that I adapted and I suppose it could be more prone to springing a leak than a factory setup. I feel better just having water in the tank till the new setup proves itself.

4. EcoLawn  Inc.

EcoLawn Inc. LawnSite Member

We run twin 525 gallon tanks with a 100 gallon custom mix tank powered by a Honda engine and a diaphram pump on an Izuzu Cab-over and never have problems with spills.
  5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

fiberglass tanks are the way to go, they are much stronger, and last a lifetime. poly tanks are ok, but the sun does a toll on them and they can get brittle and crack.
  6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Alot of guys are running PGs rather than big spray tanks because it's more time efficient. You can fertilize and spray at the same time with one piece of equipment. Plus, dragging a hose on a hot day is just sooooo much fun.