1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are TG/CL Techs Licensed?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GeorgiaGrassMan, Oct 20, 2003.

1. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone knows if TruGreen/Chemlawn techs are individually licensed? It is my understanding, and I realized that this could vary from state to state, that only one person in company has to be licensed and then others work "under his supervision" but this supervision does not have to be direct except in the case of some of the more dangerous restricted use products which they probably don't use anyway. I know for sure in Georgia that their techs wouldn't have to be individual licensed, but my question is - are they?
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

They are individually licensed in PA.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Indirect supervision is the only requirement in Maryland.
  4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

In CA only one person has to be licensed, And he is suppose to train each person, so many hours a year.
  5. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

So would you guys consider using this as a sales tool - the fact that with a solo operation, a licensed individual is always applying products while with a large company, the tech is probably not him or herself licensed?
  6. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

A friend of mine worked for chemlawn and scotts, he was not licensed, he had a tech. license which is what you are talking about. When I first started in this buisness I worked for a company that the owner once worked for chemlawn and this is the way they do things also. They trained me for one week and said ok you know what has to be done go do it. Luckily another guy that I knew called me after three months and offered me a job which everyone was trained for one full year before they went on their own.
  7. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Scraper: Are you sure they are all individually liscensed? They don't have to be by law and I would be surprised if they made all their techs be liscenced since they don't all seem to be very knowledgable.

I honestly dont know if they are all liscenced or not but I personally believe all techs should be.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here in Michigan,... no. They are not licensed. They all have their certification in turf, ornamental, and right of way, but that's it. Here in Michigan, each business has to be licensed, but the techs just have to be certified.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

TG/CL is famous for $100,000 trucks and $7.00 techs.
  10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

In IL., They all have to have a Operators license. and the supervisor has to have a Applicator license. The Operators have to pass a 100-question general standards exam. The Applicator has to pass the 100-question General standards, and one or more 50-question category exams. Category selection depends on the sites where the company uses pesticides. Whis in this case would be the Turf, or Turf and Ornamentals.