1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are the curbs getting taller??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I bid a new commercial lot a few months back and I got the bid. This prop is surrounded by curbs and has several islands which need mowing. Well it turns out that I underbid this one because I am spending a great deal of time getting my mowers over the curbs. It looks to me like the curbs in my area are getting taller?? I think I might have to come up with a max height measurement so I can effectively price jobs. This job requires that I carry a piece of plywood to use as a ramp to get over all the curbs.

Anyone had this problem?? I am following the mower manuals directions of backing over at a 45-degree angle, but I am grounding out on the curbs:angry:
  2. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

yes i have the same problem i never read the manual the fellow i got the scag from said to back up to curbs straight on seems to be hard on hydros maybe its just me,most of the time i go over them with front wheels if i dont have front wheels exactly straight it sounds like metal crunching i need help on this to
  3. Davo

Davo LawnSite Member

You using riders, or w/b's?
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is so funny that this topic is brought up because I was just talking to one of my employees about the same thing last week.
  5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Might try using a couple pieces of 2x12 with angular pieces on the sides of each. Wouldn't be as bulky as plywood and you could probably 'store' them on the deck of the mower.

The majority of the existing curbs for many years here have been the roll over curb type. Now the newest development sites are using full step up curbs and installing wheelchair ramps at the street terminals. :dizzy:

This is the 'how do we accomplish the same thing, cause more work, and use more materials plan'.
  6. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

try going more parallel to the curb...that way the other tire is more likely to climb into the curb before the frame hits. If you're still hitiing all you need is a piece of 2x6 or 2x4. or a 2x4 on a 2x6! :) only about a foot long. Just for the other tire that you can't get on the curb. Easy to keep on the mower that way, too...
  7. parboy

parboy LawnSite Member

same situation here. I keep about a two foot piece of 2x stock bungeed onto the counter weights on front of my lazer. Seems to do the trick.
  8. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

I keep a 4ft 4x4 post on the trailer. Lay it down in front of the 90 degree curbs seems to work pretty well, keeps everything from grinding on the curbs
  9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

At least I know everyone is having the same problems. The plywood I have is only the width of the rear tires, and about 2' long. Its not really the weight or the material but the time spent setting the brake, getting off, installing the board, getting on, mowing the area, setting the brake, getting off, picking up the board, and going to the next area to do it all over again. I am probably spending 15 minutes on one prop by having to deal with this issue.
    I guess I need that max curb measurement so I can bid accordingly next time.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto...and make sure you back up. It's easier.