1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are the double blades to heavy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramster2000, Jun 12, 2001.

1. Ramster2000

Ramster2000 LawnSite Member

I have a problem with cutting grass. Mow mower doesn't cut everything. People have suggested me to use the double blades. I have thought about it, but I am concerned with the fact that they might be to heavy and slow the blade speed down. I had that problem with the gator blades. They were a lot heavier than the normal blades. I was also wondering how much they cost. I would need three of them for my mower. I was also wondering if there is a way to increase horsepower on the tractor. If there is I would love to hear it. All responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you:D
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

First of all you didn't say what equipment you are using. You did say something about a "tractor" though. Well, thats the first problem! Let us know the make and model engine and size of blades and center hole dimensions on that tractor, you may be able to up the rpm's safely and make some deck adjustments and as always use SHARP, SHARP, properly sharpened, balanced blades. On most tractors, you are limited to the manufacturers blades and many tractors are underpowered to begin with.

Let us know some specifics and we will try to guide you!
  3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

On the subject of double blades:

Where can I order the bracket that holds the blades? I have a Laser Z with a 60" "Ultra Cut" deck.

I just got off the telephone with my local eXmark dealer and he said "Huh?..never heard of double blades...." so I filled him in.

Poured thru my new J.Thomas catalog but found nothing...

Please advise...I wanna run double blades...not double cut! :D

Thanks, and PEACE!
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You don't need a special bracket, they dont move.
  5. SLS

from Mars

OK. I was not sure if movement was a problem or not. I saw the bracket in question on EricELM's website...on the "double blade" page.

It is pictured alongside a "magic X" mulcher doodad...a Dixie Chopper exculsive?

Thanks for the info! :)
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just remember on Lazers, you will be cutting 1/4" lower, your blade bolts will also be 1/4" lower, and you will notice a lapfull of grass due to the blowout. Not to mention the HP it drains and the noise like a helicopter! I have troubles getting mine on my trailer w/o hitting the blade bolts when backing off with doubles. For me, I use doubles for fall leaf mulching, Lazers cut plenty good with singles for me, AND I'M EXTREMELY PICKY WITH MY QUALITY OF CUT!
  7. SLS

from Mars

dixie 1:

Thanks for the reminder about the loss of 1/4 blade clearance. I didn't even think about that.

I'm very pleased the way my Laser cuts with single blades too-but after getting behind because of rain I'm tired of double cutting...and I HATE CLUMPS! :D I've also been getting a lot of calls from folks who's s***b disappeared (push mowing wet 8" grass with dull blades must have got to them :D) and their grass is usually pretty high when they call me.

Do you "eyeball" the blades when mounting or use a t-square our something to make them form a perfect cross? It seems that having them perfectly crossed would be critical for balance. I thought the bracket gizmo would be handy for aligning the blades into a perfect cross.

What do you think?
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Position of blades in the X position has nothing to do with balance or harmonics. Just be sure both sets are properly balanced!
  9. SLS

from Mars

Thanks again, dixie1!

I just got back from getting the Gators (already had the hi-lifts). Gonna sharpen, balance, and mount 'em up and check it out right now.

They are calling for showers here on Thursday and Friday so I want to be ready this time.

I guess I need to locate my ear plugs..heheheh! :D

PEACE...and I Love This LawnSite Place!
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i dont know that its necessary but i was concerned with what seemed like xtra stess on electric blade engagement with doubles.
    i went to lowes and got a universal hilift of half the exmark blade wt. it does sound like its less stress when engaging. also works as good as the exmark blades for top blade. later