1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are the Earthway spreaders any good?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lampeslawnservice, Mar 11, 2005.

1. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the market for a new spreader and want to know if anyone here is using an Earthway? Whats the Durability, performance, ease to push like. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
  2. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Got a small one, push type & it is ok for small yards. Mine just has the plastic wheels. I need one with real tires.
  3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I bought one Earthway 10 years ago. It will be my last one. It lasted one year before it rusted. I have 400 accounts that I do 2-5 times/year. They also produce a poor narrow pattern. I left too many stripes and skips with it. The frame was cheap steel tubing. I repaired mine but bought a Lesco while waiting for parts. My Earthway sits in the shed. My Lescos are still going after 10 years. There are other spreaders out there. There are other good durable spreaders on the market. I have not had to buy anymore since I bought my two Lescos. The new ones look even better. Just make sure its stainless steel.
  4. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks! The earthway's look good, but sounds like the Lesco's are better from what I've gathered. That's what this place is for. Where would we be without it.
  5. ns400r

ns400r LawnSite Member

Well seeing Ive been in this business for 20+years now and just found this site :laugh: I think Ive mange just fine.
  6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I own both and let me tell you that there is no comparison at all! The Lesco is the superior choice and the Earthway is good if you want to do your yard only.
  7. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

The Earthway I bought was a commercial type with a 75-100 hopper. It was not the cheap model. Any spreader has to be stainless steel.
  8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I agree with the last statement. Stainless is absolutely the only way to go!! :blob4:
  9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Actually if you keep your spreaders clean then you should get about five years out of a painted sprayer. I have purchased Lesco and Earthway. The Lesco is better built there is no question. Both push fairly well but I would buy the Lesco. The reason I buy the painted Lesco spreaders is (I'm cheap)!

Here is how I keep them from rusting. After each day of use I wash them all and then spray everything with WD40 till it drips off the spreader. Doing that has kept them working with no problems for years. In fact I am on my second truckster. My last one was twelve years old. The frame did not rust out but the motor went bad. I decided that instead of purchasing a new motor I would get a new unit.

Right now Lesco has their painted spreader on sale for $225 compare that to the stainless at $375. You can buy a lot of WD40 for that or just buy two!
  10. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, but if you actually push, you will find you don't have time to wash out a spreader every night.

Therefore, if I figure my time at 40 bucks an hour, and it takes ten mintues to wash out and spray a spreader, I will pay for the SS model in less than one month.

Buy SS. Washing and spraying=waste of time.

Not trying to be rude, its just business.