Are the FastTraks commercial grade?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I know they are classified as residential mowers, but are the engines commercial grade? Are the Mini FastTraks and Regular FastTraks both residential or are regular FastTraks better? Will a FastTrak do some serious cuttin' or should I go for something with a better commercial warranty. The Hustlers are expensive, but the commercial ones have insane warranties. Are Encores and small Gravelys any good? I just want a small ZTR.

2. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

C'mon guys. Are the Honda or Kohler engines on them commercial grade and if not, how many hours are the certified for? Is there a difference between the engines used on the Mini FastTraks and the regular FastTraks? Thanks.

3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not really qualified to anwwer your question about the engines, but a friend of mine in PA just bought a new Fastrack 44", for use on his yard, and I looked them up on the web. He bought one with a Honda engine, but I think the warranty really tells you what you need to know. They have a 1 year commercial warranty, as opposed to 2 years on most all commercial quality mowers. Their residential warranty was either 3 or 4 years, and for a homeowner, might be more valuable than the two year commercial.

If you are serious about staying in this business, I think most would recommend you go ahead and step up to a commercial rated mower, whatever the size, as, in the long run, it will be less expensive and more productive. Neill

4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think it really is classified as a commercial mower by Hustler. The hydros, etc. are not as good as the Mini Z and Super Z. Post your question in the Hustler forum to get an answer from PJ would is in charge of that forum for Hustler.

5. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

The engine is commercial on the fastrack, but the frame, hydros, and various other components are homeowner rated. The mini fastrack has homeowner written all over it. Many on LS have been happy with their 20/52s, but I would suggest stepping up, if money allows, to a mini or super mini. Check the Hustler forum. If you were going to use it for 10 back yards with small gates I think the fastrack or mini fastrack would be a good alternative.IMO

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I checked them out last week. First thing I noticed was the shallow deck. I looked it over and it has wheel motor/pump combos. I don't know if that's good or bad.

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

they are not commercial rated in my opinion. The hydros are slow and integrated as therral said. They are alot higher quality than most homeowner mowers and if I just needed to mow a yard or 2 thats what I would be looking at but do yourself a favor and go test a mini z. My hustler dealer here had a 52 inch 20hp mini z for 5799. You will be much happier. If you want something smaller alot of guys seem happy with thier gravley 34z.

8. Backlash Wi

Backlash Wi LawnSite Member

The Hustler Forum (as mentioned below)?

Thanks!

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If they were commercial grade they would be called a commercial mower. The hustler of a dealer I went to implied that they were a commercial mower, they are not. But the gravely 34z which is a commercial mower is a great choice. Not the worlds best if you have lots of steep hills, but other than that I cant think of a single thing that isnt wonderful about it.