1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Are the Lesco 7 steps necessary?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MrC, Apr 6, 2007.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

After reading a number of positive reviews I decided to stop by my local Lesco dealer and give them a shot. They were extremely helpful and knowledgable and gave me a seven step program to follow. Are all these steps necessary (South Jersey)?
    1. Mar- Crabgrass Control Dimension .10% 19-0-6
    2. May- Crabgrass Control; Dimension .15% 19-0-6 (He did say I could just stick with the .10% unless the weeds are really bad.)
    3. June- Grub/Surface Insect Control; Allectus .18% 18-0-9
    4. July- Turf Fertilizer; 24-5-11
    5. Sept- Turf Fertilizer; 20-10-10
    6. Oct- Turf Fertilizer; 32-5-7
    7. Nov- Winter Fertilizer; 34-3-11 & lime

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

No... I'm in a longer season climate here and only use a 5 step fert at the MOST, plus one blanket weed spray if needed.

Grub control is something that many people won't want because of price, and it's not realy necessary usually. I can't forsee the turf using that much fert in one growing season... 4 to 5 pounds of N per season is gods plenty.

But I may be wrong... Wait for another Jersey native to chime in

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

A little heavy on the fert in fall, Sept, Oct, Nov. If it rains you will be mowing a LOT. You need weed control about June and Sept. Not everyone needs or wants grub control, or insect control--and it is costly--about 4 times as much as fertilizer. Which lawns have irrigation? Which lawns do you mow?

4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I deliver between .75 and 1lbs of N per 1000ft2, per app. This shakes out to 4.5 to 6 lbs per K for the season (just what the state university suggests), so yes 6 applications + grub control = 7 applications. I'll sell the client as few as 4 applications if they are not irrigating their turf. It goes dormant for a good deal of the summer so it needs less. My program doesn't really look like the one you are showing though.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's about as generic of a program as you can get. Why all the phos.? Lime? For what? Is it needed? I mean, while this may be a series of formulations that may be common in your area (and the "array" of different stuff looks impressive on paper - like it s some sort of "specialized" selection or something), I can't see all the unnecessary stuff there. I realize the insect stuff must be optional, but you have one expensive regiment there. This SOUNDS like it was put together by a salesman.

6. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Right on, Joe.

7. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I'm with Runner on this one. I appreciate Lesco, however, their job is to sell fertilizer and and bottled chemicals. And as Runner pointed out--way too much Phos. Generally after fall soil test: a Pre-EM, spring fert with weed, wet summer weed herb, summer fertilizer with Fe and finally a fall/winterizer fert. should work. As you can see you need both dry fertilizer and wet weed control. Lesco's can't do both. Is this just your yard? If so, it would be better to just let a Pro take care of it--Less headaches.

8. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

As has been said, Lesco is in business to sell Fertilizer. The first step is a soil test, so you will know what the soil needs, not what someone thinks is a good program. What type of grass are you treating? TTTF needs much less nitrogen than blue or rye.

The double application of Dimension may be needed because some in the area may bot use a pre-emergent in early spring and you will get a second push of crabgrass, but at that point, you may have to control other broad leaf weeds as well. Perhaps spot spraying may be a better alternative. As was already mentioned, are grubs and insects an issue? Don't treat something that is not there. An application in the heat of summer, may be a big mistake unless the irrigation is adequate to keep the grass from going dormant. The 3 applications heading into fall may be an overload, better to stay with only two, depending on the winters we are having, that much top growth can cause problems over the winter months. Do you need an application of lime? The soil test will give you that information. Lesco has a very reasonable soil testing program as well as the county cooperative extension offices through Rutgers University.
    http://njaes.rutgers.edu/soiltestinglab/

What about aeration and fall seeding? If it is a TTTF lawn, you should definitely be over-seeding in the fall and aeration is almost a mandate in all but the loosest soils we have, especially in new construction.

I typically recommend, after a soil test, a 5 step program, plus aeration and seeding as we usually change all the lawns over to Turf Type Tall Fescue with a little blue grass for the durability, reduction in amount of fertilizer, disease & insect resistance as well as drought tolerance.

Kirk

9. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

10. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I would apply your second app of crabgrass control in June (first week). In May I would be more concerned with broadleaf weeds, do a spot or blanket treatment depending on previous seasons. With that said I like doing a blanket treatment in march, it solves a lot of winter annual problems and broads like clover and dandelion etc.. Forget about the grub control unless there has been previous history or obvious infestation. Skip July, control the amount of Phos Jersey soil has plenty and it isn't going anywhere. fertilize in Sept and winterize, lime only if necessary. Figure out your N rates and don't get caught up in what Lesco is trying to sell you. Oh yea, fungus has been bad the last couple of seasons in S. Jersey, for the lawns that have been giving me problems I like to treat with a liquid (preventive rate) it's cheaper but sell it first and tell them why, I never had a problem doing this.