1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are the mushrooms I see in mukch beds pyschodelic/magic?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by thefed, Aug 12, 2007.

1. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

No, I dont/wouldnt eat them if they were. But te topic came up while we mowed....and I have no idea. never even seen a magic mushroom. I hear they are found udner cow turds...so why not mulch?

just wonderin
  2. jas4906

jas4906 LawnSite Member

Eat One... And let us know... LOL
  3. gratis landscape

gratis landscape LawnSite Member

Google Psilocybin or look it up in Wikipedia. You will find everything you want to know.
  4. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

5. daysel

daysel LawnSite Member
    from TEXAS

6. Turfbarber

Turfbarber LawnSite Member

Trying kitty litter and hydroponics set at 120 for about 33 days...most righteous dude!!!
  7. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Here's a rule of thumb you can use to tell which are psychodelic:

the phychodelic chemical (I forget the name) will cause the mushroom to turn purple wherever it gets brused. So give the stem a little squeeze and if it turns purple almost immediately, it is likely magic.

But you need to know a lot more about mushrooms before you decide which ones you can eat and which ones you can't.
  8. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

there is no cure or anti-poison for mushroom toxins. you will die if you eat the wrong mushroom

!!!and many mushrooms "bruise" purple, including poisonous varieties. please do not just eat mushrooms even if someone tells they are an expert and its ok
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, like run over that sporey kind that lets off a big bad cloud of brown dust, then don't breathe, that's as close to magic psychodelics as I want to get.

My favorite ones are the kind that are so thick they cut the mower off when I run over them, now if they'd disappear in front of my eyes that would be a neat magic trick, somehow I don't see them doing that for me thou.
  10. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I used to have an older guy work for us(trimmer man), and he knew all the mushrooms which were good and bad. At first we thought it was funny as he would pick all the edible mushrooms and pile them in the truck. Then he started to bring ziplock bags ,because he would get so many and take them home to freeze them. We had to put a stop to that since he was picking more then trimming.

Don't think any were the magical kind.