Are the stick edgers worth the money??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KJC Landscaping, Jan 21, 2002.

1. KJC Landscaping

KJC Landscaping LawnSite Member

I am looking at buying a new edger. Since I already have the WB type, I was looking at the stick edgers. My equip. dealer was telling me that they don't work that well, and that I am better off with the WB. My question is do any of you guys use the stick edgers and how well do they work?

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have WB edger and 2 stick edgers. Use the WB on heavy stuff and the stick edger to maintain afterwards. I wouldn't buy a 2nd WB, if thats what your dealer is telling you.

3. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I have tried one, but couldn't seem to get the hang of it. I think I got a better job with the string trimmer turned on it's side (that's just me). I understand though that a stick edger is a must for thick southern grasses.

4. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

I've never used a wb edger. I have a Shindaiwa LE260 stick edger, works great. It isn't the best in unmaintained areas when creating a new edge, although it will work. I have cut new edges for beds on one job. Not ideal for that kind of work, but it surprised me that it would do it at all.

For me it's worth its weight in gold for maintaing edges weekly. Plenty of power, I could edge and run with it if I wanted to.

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

KJC, buy one, you won't regret it!

6. bullfrog

bullfrog LawnSite Member
    from atlanta

I once tried a WB (McClane), and could never get the hang of it -- I kept turning into the concrete. Returned it to Home Depot, and got a Stihl stick edger. Very handy.

With warm season grasses that creep over concrete, a trimmer doesn't cut it as well -- and in areas that get snow, edging (along with removing grass in the cracks) makes snow removal easier on sidewalks.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have both. The w/b is NEVER used anymore. I can do anything with the new Stihl that the w/b can and much faster.

The stick edger was probably one of the best all time investments I made. It save tremendous amounts of time. Around these parts you must edge every week. The new stihls have a front wheel to help. It cuts as fast as you can walk.

8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I'm with 65 hoss as usual. I have had both, but would never go back to a walkbehind unless I was cutting sod type stuff. The stick is so much faster, plus it does not take up trailer deck space. You will be very happy if you get a stick. I think your dealer may have profit in his eyes.:confused:

Jay

9. With you to jay on the stick edgers its also cuts out another piece of equipment to load on the trailer you can put it in a trimmer trap

10. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Pgh. Pa I never saw an edger on a truck before. I guess it's the cool season grass we have that doesn't creep. I can keep a nice edge on walkways w/string trimmer. I do agree that a crisp edge is the final touch for a well maintained lawn.

I have a question: Do you guys that need to use an edger weekly charge extra for that or is that just expected in your area?

P.S.
    Brian Gallo - your name sounds familiar. Could we have met at Penn Hills Rental?

Ron