Are the yahoos still hibernating??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Mar 25, 2004.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Yesterday my helper made an interesting observation.
    He asked me "where are all the yahoos with the Sears mowers and homemade trailers?". We've been working for the past few weeks on end of winter cleanups, bed edging, etc. For that matter, I;ve seen only a few for-real landcape companies out on the highways....do these guys only mow grass for a living?? Theres no way we could just hop on mowers in the next couple of weeks without doing the get-ready.

Seems weird that we've seen almost no landscape trlrs so far

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Most of the "yahoos" around here are just blow mow and go only They dont do or want anything else What would they do with the debris, put it in the back seat of the family sedan. Yesterday I was working on my own house, just putting my mower ( 21", I have a very small yard ) back in my trailer, Two kids in a CAR were passing out flyers and stopped to ask if I wanted to have them do my lawn the rest of the year. Looked in my trailer at the rest of my stuff and asked what I used that stuff for (walkbehind -trimmers- blowers) . Told them lawn maintentance. They told me they had never seen stuff that big. Later I looked at their flyer and it said " Professional Equipment" Go Figure!

3. GarPA

from PA

maybe a stupid thing to say, but I sometimes feel sorry for those people...at least they are trying to make a living (if you can call it that)....yikes

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i dont feel sorry for these people, they think, oh..ok...ill go out and cut grass for a few weeks and ill make alot of money. they underbid and take away our good name and good work.

now if they were a reputable company with legit gear, name, biz registered, i wouldnt mind, bidding close to what i was...i sure wouldnt welcome it, but its better than scrubs.

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I find it increasingly harder to compete with all the goof offs around here with a push mower and a trimmer. Almost all of my nes business so far this year only been through my current clients, which is probably a good thing. Here in Texas everyone has a push mower and a lawn tractor and a small trailer they can put it on. I have seen no less than 25 rigs like this going around our town and my town isn't all that large. (25,000) I have however been lucky enough to appeal to the common senses of a couple new clients. They asked me to come and bid the lawn so I did. One had already called a guy who in their words looked pretty suspicious but had an extremely low bid. The other one had a guy like that on the way. I simply asked them to ask the other guy if he had any insurance. The one who had already had the guy come out called him and asked and immediately told him not to come out. The other guy called the guy who was on his way and asked him and after he told him he had none, my new client told him he could turn around and go back home. This is probably the first time I have seen any of my clients have any common sense.

6. GarPA

from PA

I dont envy you being in a small town with that many goobers running around.

7. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah......Them mow an blow operators dont get in to the ferts, aerating, dethatching, spring cleanups etc....They got another month or so before they can start drooling....

Matter of time till they call me to take over....:D :D ;)

8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Hey we have the same thing in a twon of 5,000. We take care of lot but the scrubs as you call them, I myeslf call them "HOMERS" mow & trim. Nothing more, nothing less. Little trailer to haul there sears and sears trimmer and off they go looking for pennies! I see them ride around more than actual work but whatever!

9. jokatico

jokatico LawnSite Member
    from maine

One of my new plowing customers asked me to give her an estimate on spring cleanup and summer maintenance on her property. She almost had a heart attack when I gave her the price. She said her last two guys charged her $10-15 an hour. I recommended that she calls one of those guys and she said she has tried but one phone # is disconnected and she doesn't want to call the other one because he always wants cash the same day and will not give a receipt.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe it's me Gary, but around where I work, I'm seeing less and less of those ham and eggers...