Are there any guys that run their business 100% meaning maintenance, taxes, etc???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Jun 14, 2011.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

My business is at the Medium and I find it hard to do things all by myself. I mean I come home after a long day and do paper work like billing even though I use quick books, estimates, setting dates for projects, what has to been done tomorrow, and so on. Like now I have to fix a ball joint, a stripped fuel filter, grease the mower, change belts, you get the idea. My question is, is it a healthy business ethic to try and do everything by yourself??

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

hell no.......

3. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

So what is the outcome if I try and handle everything by myself? I'm guessing I would snap, have a heart attack, or fail?

4. no its not good, that's why there's so much burnout in this, but I do it all also.

5. madisonpressurewashing

madisonpressurewashing LawnSite Senior Member

Not good, get some one to help like a book keeper , or take your stuff to a shop

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Don't work so hard, raise your prices a little, sleep in some, take a chill, sit down, rest up some, there,
    you see now why I don't think mowing 400 lawns a day is very good, I did 2 today, are you feeling better?

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

It is a matter of perspective. I do mostly everything BUT I do have some help. My wife does the books so that is a huge timesaver. Otherwise she will help me in the field occasionally with mowing but I do everything else myself. I really don't mind as I know I am saving money and I don't feel overwhelmed. You sound like its starting to get to you. If all your time is occupied with the business I would say you are going to have to get some help somewhere or sharpen your skills to do things more efficiently. Easier said than done however.
    Some days are rotten and others are great but that is the business. The more you can do yourself the more in your pocket but if you don't have time to enjoy life all the money in the world means nothing. Good Luck.

8. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Dont strain yourself....If you had as much ambition for being successful as you do telling people how much you know and how great you are, you would be a millionaire.

To the OP...you have to try to handle everything just starting out. The hardest guy to hire is your first, after that, just keep going. Pretty soon you will be brickman. I am just a small guy 4 guys work for me and I put in anywhere from 70-90 hours a week this time of year. It will slow down and next thing you know it will be winter....I still go to my shop every day just to feel productive but I'm really not working...tinkering more than anything.....but that's when I get my break.

If you bust a*s now it will pay off...What is the alternative? try to get to 30,000 posts. Do what you can as you need help doing this and that you find the right people.

9. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I feel your pain. I do it all myself. I do have a part time guy in the summer, but he is a high school baseball player and has summer ball. My fiance works as a teacher out of time so she is gone too. I hear it when I need to do book work at night and she wants to hang out. On top of that she's at the beach this week with some friends and we just moved into a new house.

I would love to have a full time guy to run a friday route or something. That would allow me to do estimates, bookwork, etc. I just don't have the current business to support me and a helper.

If I could only pick up another $400-600 a week I could hire another guy.

10. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Better to work smart than hard......

Smart.....
    Maintaining your own equipment. Service a mower and a few handheld's in an hour, and save a couple of hundred buck's.

Keeping an eye on the book's, money and bottom line yourself.

Hiring a few helper's for a labor intensive job.

Hard.....
    Trying to mow as many yard's as possible for whatever cheap payment you can recieve.

Just mowing and missing out on the better paying landscape maintanence and install job's.

Being too busy mowing for cheap money to take the time to maintain your own equipment.

Trying to do labor intensive job's alone.........

ECT.....................