are there any "plant encyclopedia" books out?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Clear-Cut, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

i was wondering if there are any books out that contain information on every single plant that is known right now and the zones that they are grown in

even if you could buy the book by whatever zone you are in.

websites even?

2. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

Justin PM me friday & i'll send you some names.
    Michael Dirr's books are the best for trees & shrubs.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Micheal Dirr's "Manual of woody landscape plants" for woody plants. and "Manual of Herbaceous Ornamental Plants" by Steven Still are two great books.

4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Just get Horticopia software from the beginning. Forget books at all in an encyclopedia format. Read some design books for literature. Sorry to be so blatant, but I spent too long reading those books when the software available did it all for me.

Rodale's "Landscape Problem Solver" has been beneficial though.

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I got a monstrous book for Christmas from one of my Gardeners, Botanica by Konemann about 12LBs of pictures not drawings and descriptions, zones, care you name it, the whole enchilada. Over 10,000 plants!

Team Green sometimes you just don't get it, its the journey not the destination. Everyone knows you can get everything on-line or with software but you miss a lot if you just go straight to what you need and not look around along the way. I prefer a book, I hope there are still others like me hanging around.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I'm with you Az, I prefer having a hard copy to refer to. I will use a plant finder from UConn sometimes, but I like to look up the details in some of my books after.

My sister picked me up a book of full color herbaceous plants last year. I'm drawing a blank on the title right now though.

7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

i love horticopia but it is no substitute for Dirr's books. I use both in combination. Justin, i will PM a list that are specific to our area as soon as i get a chance. If you can afford it, take a class or two at rutgers. there are some that you could still take now & they are usually short courses. I have a great one thursday nights.

9. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

thanks a lot allure and everyone else...i would like a book for when i dont have access to a computer..such as when im on the job and someone asks me about something or i can show customers different plants that i think will be best for them if im doing a design job and what not..i dont have a palm pilot for that lol

10. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a design program called master landscape pro version 10, lets me design and see it in 3d plus it has a listing of all the zones for plants and includes over 4,000 varieties of plants for only $39.99 Thats way cheaper then books. I always take my laptop along with me and now can instantly pull up plants,trees,etc and show customers what the job will look like when finished.