Are there extra strong blades out there?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. Magpie, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

I run 21" Snapper and the blade edges break from hitting the softest of debris. Also the more important issue, there is some seriously uneven wear on the blade that is hard to remedy with normal sharpening (I have some "sand lawns"). The end of the cutting edge becomes increasingly rounded and contributes to poor mowing on the outskirts of the 21" path.

What are my options? It would be nice to have two mowers in my truck, one used for sand lawns and the other for good lawns, but there is not enough room for my backup mower in my truck.

This is one of my few problems I am currently having and I would be willing to pay a lot for a reinforced blade. Otherwise, I was thinking of buying a quick manual sharpener to scrape the blades with every 5 lawns of so....... what do you guys think I should do?

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

why not just carry a spare set of blades. How long can it take to change them?

3. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Try not mowing so low that your mower picks up sand. Unless you already are, try mowing atleast 2.5 inches.

4. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

That would be a solution, I want the best possible solution.

Takes me about 45 seconds. But, to sharpen my blades all the time it takes too long, trying to remedy the uneven wearing. It really is a load of crap, the blades on the market. Pathetic. But, I don't know what else they can make...........

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The Meg-Mo's are made from tougher steel & the swing to reduce damage...I don't think you can get them for a 21" Snapper though !!

6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The rounded tips on the blade are from normal wear on the blade. Cutting lawns that are thin with a lot of loose sandy soil will dull the blades quicker and eventually sandblast a hole in the deck of the mower. You have to sharpen the blade regularly to keep the blade from rounding over at the tip. Try to keep the tip sharpened so that there is an angle and not a rounded corner.

As far as soft steel in the blades is concerned, try J-Thomas.com for blades for your mower. I use their blades on all my mowers and they sell very good quality blades.