Are there industry standards for lableing irrgation controllers?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Az Gardener, Jan 21, 2009.

1. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

We just go clockwise from the driveway. Makes it much easier for homeowners to understand.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, since we use remotes, as long as every zone is in a sequence for walk-through, it does not matter where we start. As some are finding, this is the draw-back with two-wire: adding a zone and keeping the sequence is a pain in the b..t.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

My schedules are generally too complex to give a standard answer, but I normally go with turf zones first, then landscape. The order in which they run depends on various factors of the site.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

What? No twenty page pdf? :hammerhead:

5. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Either clockwise or counter clockwise starting with the closest turf zone to the controller. Start times are more important and key for the commercials.....you don't want the ladies getting wet going into the office. They should be home before they get that way. :waving:

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You guys are confusing the sequence in which you wire the valves in the controller with my question of how you describe what the stations/valve controls on the label inside the controller.

• Front lawn East perimeter rotors
      or
    • Rotors, lawn, front E perimeter

See the difference? The same information just formatted differently. I was just wondering if any of the associations had a preferred format. I have seen some labeling that looked like a novel and I just wish it was always consistent.

We just implemented Hindsight software and we need to get all the clock labeling into the program so it is available when those little cards go away. I am going to format it the way I like since there don't seem to be any standards.

Here is another example, get the picture.
    • 2-GPH Emitters, shrubs, center island
      or
    • Plants in the center island with drip

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I do it standing in the street facing the house. Left curb, left front lawn , left side of house ect.
    But I also draw them and have 1 inside the controller and stapled to the service order.

8. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

ahhh I get your question now... as I stated, we go clockwise from driveway (we are all front drives here)... so, my zone descriptions go like

Front Lawn Left of Drive
    Front Beds Left of Drive
    Side Lawn Left of House
    Rear Lawn Left of House
    etc

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

But you don't list what the distribution device is?

Most of you are lucky or cursed to have controllers inside. Ours are all outside and maps and labels get lost or fade so bad they are not legible in a surprisingly short amount of time. I have labeled one clock 3 times in 10 years just due to fading.

We can always tell when someone from somewhere else or a H/O from back east has done the irrigation because the controller is in the garage :laugh:

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

All of ours are outside too. Next to a spray zone i do (sp) drip is always last if system has it.