Are these blades as good as doubles?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jones, Jun 14, 2001.

1. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

Want to try doubles on my 36 but worried extra weight will cause engine, 15 Kaw, to bog down in thick wet turf. Is this a viable alternative? Looks lighter.
    meg-mo.com/

2. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

I'm not sure, but at $79.99 per blade (times 3) I'll just stick with my $10 Gators

Scott

3. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

There was a post not long ago about these blades, look it up. I remember 1 guy that used them saying they were'nt durable enough. Also, doubles should not bog your engine down in thick grass. If anything, thats when they would be of most help. Russ

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

TRY DOUBLES ,THEN TRY THESE THINGS . THEN LET US KNOW
    WHAT YOU THINK. IT LOOKS LIKE ALL 4 BLADES ARE AT SAME LEVEL WITH THIS SO MIGHT WORK GOOD. LATER

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

One the Lawnsite Members bought this set up and if I remember right, it is laying in his shop. I have used doubles on two different 60" Choppers with 20 HP Kohler engines on them. They did just fine, so a 15 hp on a 36" should be no problem. Just go put them on and see, it's not a big deal to do like some members think it is. Instead of putting on 1 blade, just stick 2 on in a + formation and tighten them down and go mow. What could be easier than that? ;)

6. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

I know it's been posted before but couldn't find it in search.
    In thick wet turf do the doubles reduce clumping? What's the best combo for these conditions? In thick turf isn't it better to shoot the clippings out with as little resistance as possible to avoid clumping? Not using them to mulch only to side blow.
    Cancel that, I found the answers below except for best combo

7. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Double medium lifts or double hi lifts do best for clumping conditions. If you don't want clumping, don't use gators!

8. crs

crs LawnSite Member

I have doubles on a 36" Toro with a 12.5 hp Kohler and it pulls the doubles just fine. If you have any problems get your RPM's checked and adjusted if needed. Within two years all of my mowers have needed to be adjusted. A couple of hundred RPM's can make a real BIG difference:alien:

9. CLARKE

CLARKE LawnSite Member

HOW IN THE H@%$#** WOULD YOU SHARPING THESE IN MY
    R.B.G. Don't want to know, do know i would'nt want
    to fine out,, no thanks,, TO shapern theses i would
    have to be a :alien: ..