Are these photos worth posting to our website?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by JimLewis, Sep 3, 2007.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We did a job this summer that involved a unique kind of fountain. The customer wanted it. One of our newer landscape designers created the concept. And we installed it.

It's quite different than any other water feature I've ever done before. I kind of like it. The customer loves it. But I am not sure it's really impressive enough to put up on our website, with the other nice photos of water features we've done.

Please take a look and feel free to lend your honest opinion. Thanks.

LaughlinFountainA.jpg

LaughlinFountainB.jpg

LaughlinFountainC.jpg

LaughlinFountainD.jpg

LaughlinFountainE.jpg

2. JimLewis

3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

....interesting landscape.

4. JimLewis

Yah. It's a very unique design. Customer didn't want lawn. They couldn't really afford the nice retaining wall idea that me and the designer first came up with. So the customer and the designer came up with this concept. You're only seeing maybe 1/4 of the landscape in those photos. So it's hard to get the bigger picture. But yah. Pretty unique concept. A little different.

5. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

Hey Jim
    I don't know if I would put it as a highlight of my website but definitely in the portfolio. It is unique and interesting and very nice. I know I've posted on here about naturalistic water features, but sometimes customers want more formal looks. It seems that unique and intersting is becoming the craze. Trendy seems to be going out the door. Keep up the good work.

6. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

just my opion please no offense, i like the fountain idea but maybe it'd look better w/ a single jet instead of the spray. i bet you could get some more height out of it, which I think is why I'm not crazy about it. the basin looks massive compared to the water. maybe have 4 smaller jets with one large one in the center? just my 2ยข, but all that matters is that the man paying the bills is happy. how many miles of stepping stones did he have you put down? but nice job.

7. christmas79

christmas79 LawnSite Member

Very Nice Work!!!

8. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldn't post this looks like a home owners job, but thats what he asked for.

9. JimLewis

I know. Crazy overkill on the step stones. I think there were like 48 originally on the design. And after we installed them all, it was obvious (to the client) that there weren't "nearly enough." So we added another 70 or so. They have steps going absolutely everywhere.

The nice thing, though, is the landscape will look pretty nice in a few years when all the plants reach mature size. And it will actually be nice to have the step stones in at that time. The whole thing was way different than anything I'd ever done before. But like you said, they were paying for it and they were elated when we were finished. So different strokes for different folks. You should see the before pictures! That place was a freakin' jungle before, and the grade of the land was horrible!

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

Should you put it in your portfolio? Yes, but I would use a different angle. The comment about the size of the lower wall in relation to the water and type of spray doesn't quite work. The one picture from the right side that shows the Sage and the Flag steppers is the better of the bunch. Do you have one from more up the hill? Looking down at it but from slightly to the side?

That kind of landscaping is what I am all about. I love doing the different stuff. That concept of a water feature has tons of potential, I think I would have pushed for a different SRW and a beefier capstone though. Versa-Loc weathered Cobble for example.