Are they not paying for service?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by moneyman, Apr 29, 2004.

1. moneyman

moneyman LawnSite Member

This is in response to numerous topics about many Companies who refuse to accomadate customers wishes.Such as customers who rescheudling, a call before you come, picking up kids toys,
    dog poop, waiting 24 hours to mow becuase of chemical applications.

We complain about others not accomadating OUR schedules becuase "we have 30 other accounts that relly on us" when a old lady wants a reschedule or Chemlawn wants us to wait 24 hours.

Is that what serperates us from scrubs? At least that what we swear to left and right. We are profesionals and offer service NOT JUST A MOW.

Someone might as well go with a scrub because they are not getting that GOOD PERSONAL SERVICE alot claim to offer. Charging before you arrive, is not what they pay extra for?
    They pay extra to get your personal touch like calling ahead of time. I heard many response that people would drop an account if they had to call ahead of time.

It just does not seem so unreasonable. But im not as big as some of you all. But i am willing togive the time and Personal service of a professional.
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

we do from 25-35 a day. I cant make that many calls. I have an area i work every day. Some days go better than others, different things need to be done. I cant gaurantee a time i will be there. I never claimed good personal service, but i strive for good service.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I don't know. I believe in good service, and yes the customer is paying...... but when my husband goes for an estimate in early March, he doesn't see toys strewn all over the yard because it's still too cold for the kids to play. The customer doesn't say to him, "by the way just want to let you know that when you start cutting the grass there will be toys everywhere from the kids playing"... OR... "by the way, I rarely clean up after my dog so be prepared for some messy tires." So they are paying for us to maintain their lawn, not paying us to clean up after them.
    Never call ahead, that is ridiculous and would drive anyone nuts after so long. I mean seriously, it's hard enough trying to juggle over a 100 accounts, calling ahead is expected? Never in a million years here. I'm glad you can give the extra time. Get back with us when you get some more accounts. You'll still be providing a good service, but I guarantee you won't be providing that personal service anymore.
  4. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, calling ahead is just out of the question, and is not needed. I have enough stuff to worry about, and I think the customer should be able to trust that we'll be able to mow at the right time.
    I once had a customer ask us to call ahead so she could clean up her dog's crap in the back yard before we came. I didn't mind that because it was a reasonable reason to call. But I wouldn't want to call 20-30 clients before I mow. What if they aren't home? what then? You have to be able to judge if there is a good reason to call.
  5. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I try to offer the best service I can. That includes the personal touch. But I dont do on call cuts. That just takes too much time and takes away from the service you offer to other clients.
  6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand what you are saying, moneyman, but I think there becomes a point when guys are so busy that these "little" things become a PITA. I feel I am pretty detail-oriented and will be pretty accomodating. After 10 years, I know who to pay attention to and who not to bother with.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Calling ahead of time is not something I am willing to do. My customers know what day of the week I will be at their house. It is the same every week, year after year.

On the issue of rescheduling, I only allow it on rare, very special circumstances. I have found that if you show up when you're supposed to be there then your customers don't call. I also work alone and don't have a lot of flexibility to start doing reschedules.
  8. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Routing and consistancy.
    Those two things make this issue non existant for us. I cover a pretty large area so each day i am only in a particlar neck of the woods. I route accordingly. As the route fills the customer, say Mr. Jones for example, knows i will be there every thursday. And as time goes on i get the new schedule going well and end up being there the same time or so every week. If you are consistant in your routing, your customers will not need calls. They will know you are usually there between 10-11 every thursday or whatever your schedule is. JMO though.
  9. hubby-wife

hubby-wife LawnSite Member

This is in response to numerous topics about many Companies who refuse to accommodate customers wishes.

1. Such as customers who rescheduling-
    Do my best to fit them in-got bills to pay!

2. picking up kids toys- first time only at NO CHARGE! Will ask the client to pickup the yard as i quoted a "mowing" price. My clean the yard price starts at $25.00.

3. dog poop- mow and go, wash the tires, and me, later.

4. Waiting 24 hours to mow because of chemical applications - a reschedule.
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

absolutely agree with you Jodi