Are Toro decks the same as Exmark????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aussiegreg, Aug 30, 2004.

1. aussiegreg

aussiegreg LawnSite Member

I just looked at a Toro brochure and saw a picture of their Ultra cut deck with Micro Mulch System. I then looked at the Exmark website and they are showing exactly the same picture and calling it "eXmark's exclusive Micro-Mulch system ".
    Are they owned and made by the same people ???
    Even the foldable ROPS look the same.!!!
    Does the Toro Micro Mulch System work well??
    Can it be fitted to a Toro Torbo Force Deck???

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Then mowers are made the same,.. the decks are different. Exmark was doing so well, that Toro purchased Exmark. They still market Exmark mowers AS Exmark mowers, though. They (Toro) kept their own deck design, and kept the Exmark deck design to the Exmarks. Toro has made a few changes in their decks, but the Exmark decks have pretty much stayed the same. They made the decks a little deeper when they switched from the Tri-vantage decks to the Ultracut. I've never heard of a Toro with an Ultracut deck on it. They had the SFS deck, and have converted it to the Turboforce deck over the last year.
    I wonder, if down there where you are at, if the Toro's have the Exmark Ultracut decks on them....

3. aussiegreg

aussiegreg LawnSite Member

It definitely says Ultra cut deck fitted with micro mulch. It says it use excalibur blades

4. celawncare1

celawncare1 LawnSite Member

the dealer here in georgia said that production of toro was switched to exmark and exmark to toro...all i know is i've had bolts dropping off my exmark left and right, espically on anti-scalping deck wheels, JUST LIKE A TORO!!

5. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

If I am reading correctly you are comparing the 2 in Austrailia. Toro is marketed a little differently outside the US. From what I understand the Exmark line is exclusively for the continental US and Canada only.

6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Greg,

The brochure ya lookin' at is of a diesel XP, the feul tanks are white? This is an Exmark diesel (marketed as a Toro), it was bought over to help develop a market for diesels as Toro just released their own here.
    Same engine etc, but with Turbo Force deck.

If it has a SFS or Turbo Force deck it is Toro only.

Tri Vantage, Ultra Cut, Exmark only.

They don't mix and match.

Exmark do not distribute here, pity.

Though in that brochure it says the diesel Exmark is Toro, it ain't, it is Exmark 100% Toro don't make white feul tanks.

The Exmark decks and Toro decks are not the same or similar, copied etc, totally different designs from 2 seperate companies, Toro bought out Exmark, but they run as 2 different companies, apparently.

That Exmark XP, you can get them cheap now, same price as a petrol....but if you are mowing thin couch/bermuda like here these are not the ideal choice....a diesel would shine on big jobs more imo. Not the ideal small areas finish mower, something a school or council would use more than a general contractor.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

8. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Dave...

It is believed by many here that the new Toros are Exmarks with a Toro deck....not correct.

Some have said the new Turbo Force Deck is Exmarks, but marketed as Toro....not correct.

The decks aren't even almost similar, check specs on both sites for steel thicknesses etc, not the same.

The new Toro chassis many say is Exmarks....not correct.

Yes, observing the brands side by side there is a lot of similarities, but only similarities....different frames all together.

Doesn't matter how ya look at it, Toro with turbo force deck and Exmark are both top notch. Of course, the Toro Z588E is the top dog hey Dave LOL!

9. celawncare1

celawncare1 LawnSite Member

Hey Tonyr,
    "the dealer here in georgia said that production of toro was switched to exmark and exmark to toro...all i know is i've had bolts dropping off my exmark left and right, espically on anti-scalping deck wheels, JUST LIKE A TORO!!"

Any comments on my statement or what the dealer said???

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

See, this is where I am set straight. I thought they were very much the same machine, the only differences being, that the decks, and anything to do with the decks, (pulleys, armatures, deck mounts, etc.) were different. I've never examined one of these Toros up close enough to determine just how different they are. I AM told that alot of the parts are interchangeable. I guess I'll have to have a good look-over to see.

Celawncare, this may be one of those instances, - and we've all heard of them and/or experienced them, that the dealed MAY not not know fully what he's talking about. Not to say he's fully wrong, but this hapens at times. We've read about it several times on here.