Are u happy w/ your location?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, May 19, 2002.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

How many here are happy w/ where they live at and why? I am talking about both as a landscaper and as a person. I have not traveled much at all, but would like to and possibly move somewhere else someday, any suggestions? Which places are simply the best places in the world to live and which are the best 4 a landscaper? You get the idea.............
  2. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

I love my location. It's a beautiful area. There's more work around here than you can shake a stick at but, there's also alot of LCO's as well. From where I live to Seattle (40miles away) it's nothing but suberbs. I know alot of people say 30 miles is too far to work but, it's rather normal around here.

The only thing I hate about Washington is, it's not business friendly. High taxes, high cost of living, etc. etc. Eveything is high priced here. But, I love it to much to leave.

Move to Wash. if you ever decide to up and move. You will LOVE it here.
  3. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

My location is HORRIBLE so all you other LCO'S stay away
    J/K it's a good community
  4. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Fishing is great here,when the lawns are done...:cool:

5. Smartgene

Smartgene LawnSite Member

Excellent post Ray!

I'm constantly thinking about moving out of Michigan. My reasons are many and I won't get into all of them. Suffice to say, it's very flat and very cold. However, it seems like every location has it's own set of problems.
    I've thought of relocating to the Northwest (Oregon or Wash), to Georgia, Tenn or FLA, I've also considered Texas and Philly. Obviously, it would be nice to have a longer cutting season than Mich has to offer.
  6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I love where I live in the summer. But the rest of the year the wind blows way too hard for way too much of the time. That makes good population control. For the short lawn season we have there is tons of work. I turn so much work down it isn't funny any more.
  7. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

where i'm at we have no natural disasters to worry about, no poisonous critters to worry about, tons of work, and year round mowing... but the weather is either super hot or freezing cold there is no in between and the lawns are postage stamp size here most are around 2000 sqft for front and back yards combined
  8. Smartgene

Smartgene LawnSite Member

Modesto sounds nice. Isn't that a little NE of Oakland? What do you think of servicing Alameda and San Jose?
  9. I org started in chicago then moved to the ozarks. Chicago was great for me but winters were bitter at times. Down here has also been great. Lots of lco's but if you do good quality work it will pay for itself. Most of my new business is referrals. But I think about moving quite a bit. Spent all of this past jan in panama city florida. I would luv to move to panama bity beach or around gulf shores alabama. seems like the farther south you go the tougher the business gets
  10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

As far as location to work we have it mighty fine. We are on over 20 acres with 4 acres of covered greenhouses ..tons of outside retail space for soils rock mulch sod etc. A huge Landscape construction shop. This is surrounded by million dollar homes in a very rich community.
    Now ... the weather can be really depressing at times ... cold long winters. We do have the rocky mountains a few hours away that tend to be my escape a few times a year.
    If you ever get a chance to come to Alberta..go to Lake Louise, Banff and Jasper. Simply breathtaking.