are vacuums worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Timbo, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

I am thinking of purchasing a billy goat vacuum for leaf removal and other landscaping needs. I was wondering peoples opinions on whether or not these vacuums are worth the money. The one I am interesting in buying is used and priced at $900, new at $1200. Do they really come in that handy?

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Are you talking about a debris loader.....or a walk behind unit? If you are thinking of using it for leaf removal, you better think again and do a search....the bags will fill up very quickly....too quick.

MATT

3. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

it is a walk behind unit. i figured as much when it comes to leaves, but how about general clean up like hedge clippings, etc. ?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Let's put it this way... a rake and a tarp are quicker than these things are. Also, many things, such as shrub clippings won't even vacuum up with one of these things (unless they are real small clippings). Do yourself a favor and save your money.

5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have never seen a landscaping/maintenance company using one of those.

I have one customer (retired) who uses a Toro walk-behind vacuum on his lawn (+/- 15,000sqft), but it takes him HOURS, spaced out over a weekend, to "vacuum" his lawn.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

don't buy the walk behind units...waste of time and money.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if you really want to buy something from Billy Goat then buy their walk behind blowers:D

8. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased one last season thinking I would get some work done and I was kidding myself. I am purchasing a truck loader this season. Those things are great for parking lot clean-up and vacuuming around my clients pools and that about it. Mine is for sale cheap, plus emptying that damn bag is harder than it looks....

Put another 1500 with it and buy the truck loader and put a serious dent in someone elses wallet...

Blades