Are Velkies OK For Belt Drive Walk Behinds??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ray-Sr-419, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Ray-Sr-419

Ray-Sr-419 LawnSite Member

Hello Again! I've been looking at buying a velky for my belt drive Scag walk behind, but i'm not too sure if it's really worth it. I've used them many times on hydro walk behinds but never with a belt drive. I was kinda thinking maybe it would just be more of a hassel for me when I have to make turns. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I'm trying to make life a lil bit easier, not more hectic. So anybody with any experience on this issue??? Please leave your opinions and comments. They are greatly appreciated.........Thank You!!!

2. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

We have one for our 36 exmark. Best investment we bought for it. Nice to put it in 4th gear to mow. That was in 2000. I think this year we'll finally put new belts on. NOW have you know we only mow on average 35 lawns a week each year. Results may very. :)

3. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes they work ok. better then walking. However you are in for a ride when some water splashes up on the belts..

4. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

i think this whole water on belts thing is blown out of proportion

really i don't mow in thunderstorms but i don't think i've ever had belt slip
    i have a sulky and 180 pounds...I mow uphills with my toro

Maybe i should thank you guys for keeping the cost of used belt drives down

Nate

5. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

do you guys think the velke wears down the transmission significantly faster?

6. Ray-Sr-419

Ray-Sr-419 LawnSite Member

Thats a good question! I haven't even thought about that. On the other hand, if it will save me time, work and money it might just be worth it. I dont really mind walking most of the time, but sometimes you just dont have the time or energy to do so. I'll be getting a rider in a couple days but some people dont really like them on their lawns. Not to mention the gates that the riders dont even fit thru. Most of them seem like they are just big enough for a 36.

7. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a toro 48" wb that has to be 10 years old. Never a belt or trans problem. It has had a sulky on it from day one.

8. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

wow. That's a long time on one tranny. How many hours do you think that thing has??

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

First off, water on belts is not blown out of proportion. If mine get wet (via, water pockets, overwatering, etc - I can't drive AT ALL. Have to get off the sulky and push it while engaged till some of the water is gone and I can regain traction in the pulleys...

But that's not what this is about.

I've had/used 4 36" belt-drive mowers with sulkies. All four used a Peerless 5 Spline transmission. 3 of the 4 remain in 5th gear 100% of the time (T-bar's). We've lost 1 tranny in 7 years of use. And it was less than $200 to replace....

If your mower is a pistol grip - YES, 180 degree turns can be a bit ridiculous, trying to avoid tearing off the family jewels... but still better to adjust to that than to walk...

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ive got a Tbar toro with 350 hours and no problems with belts or tranny and I weigh 300 pounds

wayne